What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon heated pitot/Gretz standoff installation

carl nank

Well Known Member
OK. I have read the Dynon and the Gretz aero installation instructions regarding the Heated pitot and Gretz standoff installation.

Gretz says to install the assembly prior to wing skin installation. Ha ha. That was a long time ago. Gretz makes some references as to where to place the assembly, all of which are not very clear. One thing that was clear was, he said to not put the assembly near the wing tie down so as to not get interference with the tie down and the pitot tube. That makes good sense and it seems to preclude installing it near where Vans says to (near the outermost inspection plate of the left wing.

I went on the Dynon support site, but they made a lot of changes and it is confusing to use as of yet.

Can anyone tell me where they might have successfuly placed the assembly and the procedures you used if they were different from Gretz's instructions?

I appreciate any help I can get on this.

Mine's not heated, but I went outboard of the last inspection port.

RV-7build047.jpg

Thanks Brian. Does anyone else have any suggestions? I was hoping for more information on this.

OK. I have read the Dynon and the Gretz aero installation instructions regarding the Heated pitot and Gretz standoff installation.

Gretz says to install the assembly prior to wing skin installation. Ha ha. That was a long time ago. Gretz makes some references as to where to place the assembly, all of which are not very clear. One thing that was clear was, he said to not put the assembly near the wing tie down so as to not get interference with the tie down and the pitot tube. That makes good sense and it seems to preclude installing it near where Vans says to (near the outermost inspection plate of the left wing.

I went on the Dynon support site, but they made a lot of changes and it is confusing to use as of yet.

Can anyone tell me where they might have successfuly placed the assembly and the procedures you used if they were different from Gretz's instructions?

I appreciate any help I can get on this.

Pitot tube mounting location

Same comment as Brian. Just on the other side of the rib, outboard of the last access panel. This seems to be the preferred spot, from what I've seen.

You should consider putting the pitot slightly inboard of the tie-down. Otherwise the tie-down rope will interfere. Tie-down ropes generally angle outboard, especially on RVs because of the short wings.

Last edited:
I mounted mine just outboard of the tiedown ring

I mounted mine just outboard of the tiedown ring and there has been no problem with tiedown ropes or chains or with using the tiedown ring as a jackstand lift point. It is a RV-6A but as you can see the only line of tiedown interference would be in a very small arc just past vertical to the outside. In 5+ years that has never occurred.

Bob Axsom

Pitotmount.jpg

Pitotmntinside.jpg

Thanks to all!

WOW, great pictures and replies! A picture is truly worth a thousand words.

I am now ready to remove rivits and install the Gretz mount.

Thank you!!!!

Back