What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon EMS D-37 connector "No Connection"?

claycookiemonster

Well Known Member
Combing through the connections for the Dynon EMS box. There are quite a few wires listed as "no connection" for my configuration. What should be done with these? De-pin and remove the entire wire? Roll up 6" or so and keep it behind the panel in case there's a use for that pin someday?

It sounds like you’re looking at the “example” wiring diagram.

The way I understand it, there are so many variables for sensors other “goezintas” for the EMS, you have to look at each input and determine how you’re gonna hook it up based on the color coded function tables in the install manual. The examples only show one generic way to hook everything up. If you plan out your specific needs and a wire isn’t needed, then you should feel free to delete it.

Yea, I'm past the generic stage. For my set-up (4 cyl injected) there are actually nine wires which show "no connection" for their intended use. I emailed Dynon and they said while I certainly could get rid of them, they suggested retaining them in a bundle in case someday, you know?

But seriously, has that day ever come? When you suddenly realize that pin something or another from the EMS is just perfect for...what?

Very tempted to just do a bit of de-pinning for practice.

Just to be clear, Steins did the wiring harnesses for me. The D-37 connector came pretty much filled in to accommodate all possible combinations. I just don't have to use all the connections they were prepared for.

So, what to do with all the pretty 22 ga wire they so carefully pinned for me which has no place to go?

I had the same question a few months ago and I ended up de-pinning and removing the unused wires. They can always be re-inserted later on if they are ever required (which is unlikely).

Just to be clear, Steins did the wiring harnesses for me. The D-37 connector came pretty much filled in to accommodate all possible combinations. I just don't have to use all the connections they were prepared for.

So, what to do with all the pretty 22 ga wire they so carefully pinned for me which has no place to go?

Having updated my legacy Dynon based panel over the years by adding or replacing systems (ADSB, GPS navigator etc.) I have found that having extra connector wiring and pins in the wiring bundles has been very useful and having to add wires and pins that were not originally installed can be a real PITA. On my most recent GNX375 install harness from Stein even though I only need one RS232 connection I had them wire all of the RS232 pins with about 4ft of wire which is rolled up behind the firewall should I ever need another channel.
Easier to do up front than later.

I'm going in...

Since this is the connector for the EMS, the Engine Monitoring System, and I can't imagine significant changes to my power plant, I think I'm going to de-pin and remove what is not needed now.

This practically guarantees I'll have a huge upgrade forward of the firewall at some future date, so I've got that going for me. Which is nice.

Since this is the connector for the EMS, the Engine Monitoring System, and I can't imagine significant changes to my power plant, I think I'm going to de-pin and remove what is not needed now.

This practically guarantees I'll have a huge upgrade forward of the firewall at some future date, so I've got that going for me. Which is nice.

Keep in mind you could use those wires for something other than the EMS in the future;)

If you don’t have EMags now, but think you might upgrade to them in the future, you could run those wires now and just cap and stow the unterminated ends. That’ll save you from digging through the firewall.

What Dave UK_FIGS said

I left the unused wires (cut to about 18 inches) rolled up and secured behind the panel.
Both solutions (unused wires left in or removed) are good, I also think that it's easier to splice a wire than to reinsert in a connector.

Which is nice ...

Don't be too hard on Clay ...

Attachments

• A little harsh.jpg
    A little harsh.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 4
Unpinned the wire for later use, but bundled would be fine. Things I’ve added after the plane flying: thermocouple FWF, EarthX battery sensor, ident, TOGO button. I realize not all of these are to the EMS, but keep your options open.

Back