What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon D180 and RPM

cfiidon

Well Known Member
For the last few days I have been attempting to set up the fuel system on my XIO-360 with an AE400 fuel injection system. The first thing I noticed was that I could not seem to reduce the idle fuel pressure to 6-8 psi at 750 RPM.

I borrowed a calibrated gauge and it looked like the lowest was 11+ psig.

Also, I figured the whole system was way out of whack because I couldn't get above 1350 RPM or so at full throttle. It sounded like high rpm but maybe not... the canopy was open and I don't have a calibrated ear.

I decided I would check my tach on the D180 and make sure it was reading correctly. I used an optical rpm meter and it looked like the meter was reading twice my D180 indicated RPM. "something must be wrong with the meter"... right ?!?!?

I scratched my noodle for awhile wondering if the D180 resistors on the p leads might need to be larger. Then the light went on.

Pulses per revolution is a parameter in the D180 menus. The Lycoming 4 cyl selection on setup put it to a value of 2 automatically. If I change it to 1, then my D180 tach reads correctly. This explains why I could not get idle fuel pressure down to 6-8... I was not at an idle of 750, but 1500!

I still don't get it though. If the parameter is pulses per revolution on the mag p-lead, wouldn't there be four pulses per revolution on a 4 cylinder? The Dynon D180 manual just says the parameter is normally set to 1/2 or 1/4th the number of cylinders. So that means 1 or 2. Two obviously didn't work, so it must be 1.

Anyone enlighten me out there?

I'm still not done. As I left it yesterday the pressures were good at idle but the idle was not very smooth. Of course I need to adjust mixture at the throttle body again and we'll see if it smooths out. It's definitely an iterative process.

I had to use the same setting (1) on my FD 180 to get the tach to read correctly. I have an IO 360 with mags. I believe the install manual says you may have to try different numbers to get the tach to read correctly but I've slept since I completed the Dynon setup so I may have dreamt it.

Thanks gents. I am now more enlightened. And so perhaps the next builder that needs a hand...

Don

Back