What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon D10A Airspeed Freeze

Hallo,

we recently installed a Dynon D10A in one of our prototypes.

During flight, the airspeed indicator (which showed a rather active behaviour) suddenly froze (usually in the x.5kt position, ie between two integer airspeeds). The backup airspeed indicator (an United Instruments analog gauge) continued to show a change in airspeed while the D10A was fixed (also apparent by the sudden disappearance of the speed trend indicator).

After roughly 1-3s the D10A "caught up" und worked OK - until the next occurance.

This occured during airspeed stabilization, where we try to stabilize the aircraft at a pre-determined airspeed. Suffice to say the airspeed freezing makes the stabilization nearly impossible.

Is this behaviour known and the product defective? Would a recalibration or repair cure this behaviour or is it inherent into the design? Looks like a smoothing function going awry.

Side note: During ground calibration of the airspeed part of the D10A, I was dissapointed to see an instrument error in the low speed range (up to 80kt) of 2kt. Around double the instrument error of the standby analog airspeed indicator.

I would be very interesting to hear some comments and experiances from other users of the D10A.

Thanks,

Thomas

Calibration

Try this first;
There is a airspeed calibration in one of the setup pages.
It must be done in the hangar or a no wind enviroment.
It will reset the airspeed to "0"
If your still having problems it sounds like a return to the factory.

Try this first;
There is a airspeed calibration in one of the setup pages.
It must be done in the hangar or a no wind enviroment.
It will reset the airspeed to "0"
If your still having problems it sounds like a return to the factory.

Or at the very least, call the factory and report the problem.

I've been flying with the unit since 2003 and it has worked quite well.

Back