What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon D-180 update problem

yankee-flyer

Well Known Member
Tried to do an update to my D-180. According to Dynon, none of the airspeed calibrations I've done have worked because they fixed a bug in a later version than I have.

PROBLEM:: software available from Dynon is 5.6.0. Dynon is locked by Van's and needs to be unlocked before it can be updated.

The unlock file available from Van's is apparently good only through 5.5.

Any Thoughts??

Scott??

BTW-- 4-way box check shows Dynon IAS is low by 8 knots at cruise and 10 knots when it's indicating 60. Kinda make you float-- and I've been dropping 1 notch of flaps at what is really about 88 knots.

Wayne 120241

Version 5.6.0 has changes that effect taildraggers, nothing in it for the -12

That is what Dynon had said previously, and they had said the 5.6.0 was only to resolve a magnetometer calibration problem for taildraggers that were in a 3 point attitude on teh ground and that it should not be needed for any RV-12.

If they are now saying that it contains Airspeed calibration fixes, that contradicts what the said previously.

BTW-- 4-way box check shows Dynon IAS is low by 8 knots at cruise and 10 knots when it's indicating 60. Kinda make you float-- and I've been dropping 1 notch of flaps at what is really about 88 knots.

First thing I would do (if you haven't already) is a leak check of the pitot system as described in the PAP.

Leak isn't a problem

I ran the 4-way box because an analog airspeed indicator I installed disagreed with the Dynon. Check showed analog was within 1 knot at cruise and at 60 KIAS, Dynon was way off. Sent the data to Dynon and told them I'd done an airspeed calibration. Reply was that if my software was older than 5.4.2 (and it is) the airspeed calibration doesn't work. That was fixed in 5.4.2. BUT-- all I can get from Dynon is 5.6.0 and I can't use that because "Unlock" is apparently good only for 5.5. I'd upload 5.4.2 if I could get it, but apparently have to unlock 5.6 and install that to get all the previous upgrades.

THANKS

Wayne 120241/143WM

Last edited:
I ran the 4-way box because an analog airspeed indicator I installed disagreed with the Dynon. Check showed analog was within 1 knot at cruise and at 60 KIAS, Dynon was way off. Sent the data to Dynon and told them I'd done an airspeed calibration. Reply was that if my software was older than 5.4.2 (and it is) the airspeed calibration doesn't work. That was fixed in 5.4.2. BUT-- all I can get from Dynon is 5.6.0 and I can't use that because "Unlock" is apparently good only for 5.5. I'd upload 5.4.2 if I could get it, but apparently have to unlock 5.6 and install that to get all the previous upgrades.

THANKS

Wayne 120241/143WM

If the problem was fixed in 5.4.2, wouldn't the 5.5.0 file available from Van's web site take care of your problem?
That is the latest one available from Van's because Dynon specifically said that there was no reason to do an updated lock file for 5.6.0 since the changes would not apply to an RV-12.

Wayne, I strongly suggest you download the Version 5.5.0 files and instructions from Vans website and upgrade your D180. You may be just beating your head against the wall trying to operate with a back release of the software. If I learned one thing from several decades in the computer business it is not to waste your time fighting a problem that the software writers may have fixed in a later release. JMHO. And, from the information we have, there is nothing relevant to the RV-12 in 5.6.0, so you dont need to go there.

Back