What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon Avionics Charts

Howdy to all,
Hopefully I will be completing a panel upgrade this week that results in a HDX1100 and HDX800 display in my 8. I do not plan on flying in IFR but would like to have the option available to me if the need arises. Dynon has several options for chart updates and I would appreciate thoughts and observations on the various options and vendors.
Bill

I've been using Airmate since I upgraded my panel to a Dynon 10" HDX system. I use a SanDisk 32 Gb low profile thumb drive and it works great. Using an iMac, the Airmate update software can be clunky and slow but I can't argue with the price point for sectionals, low and high charts. Updates take a few hours on a 300 Mbps connection; plug it in, come back later, works for me. Accessing the charts and plates on the Dynon is a breeze.

Howdy to all,
Hopefully I will be completing a panel upgrade this week that results in a HDX1100 and HDX800 display in my 8. I do not plan on flying in IFR but would like to have the option available to me if the need arises. Dynon has several options for chart updates and I would appreciate thoughts and observations on the various options and vendors.
Bill

As you probably know the Dynon unit cannot legally navigate an IFR approach for you, and has no way to store/provide IFR airway/approach data. You need a certified IFR navigator to guide you around on approaches IFR.

As for displaying IFR approach charts and enroute maps, Seattle Avionics provides downloadable software files that are formatted for the Dynon system. This is what I do. My Garmin GPS175 does the IFR drivin' and my Dynon HDX1100 displays the enroute IFR map, and then approach chart while on approach.

As you probably know the Dynon unit cannot legally navigate an IFR approach for you, and has no way to store/provide IFR airway/approach data. You need a certified IFR navigator to guide you around on approaches IFR.

As for displaying IFR approach charts and enroute maps, Seattle Avionics provides downloadable software files that are formatted for the Dynon system. This is what I do. My Garmin GPS175 does the IFR drivin' and my Dynon HDX1100 displays the enroute IFR map, and then approach chart while on approach.
I will be doing the same thing with a Garmin 650 doing the driving.

Back