What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon autopilot servo mounting

Mike Coady

Well Known Member
I am planning a dynon D10a OR D100. I would like some info on the servo mounting. Does the roll servo go in the right wing and Does the pitch servo go behind the elevator bellcrank? Also, has anyone bought the servo mount kits from Dynon and how difficult was the installation?
Lastly, if you have either of the units listed, did you install additional AP unit or just use the EFIS for control and how do you like your choice?

thanks
Mike

Your choice

I do not have the Dynon servos but do have the D100/D120 combo, with the Trutrak servos the roll servo can be installed in either wing, in my case I have the Dynon AoA pitot in the left wing along with the Bob Archer VOR wingtip antenna and I have the roll servo in the right wing. Sort of balanced the weight and wiring. The pitch servo connects to the bellcrank. Check Dynons website as I am sure you can download installation drawings etc, the installation is easy during build. The Dynon AP was not available when I did my -7 as I might have gone that route however I am very pleased with the ADI II and it is easy to use and does a very good job.

The roll goes in the right wing and the mount goes in place of the factory bracket. You drill the hole for the pushrod and you are done. It can be done thru the inspection hole.

The pitch goes right behind the elevator bellcrank and must be either bolted or riveted in place. The installation is easy but working in there on a completed fuse is a pain in the everything. If you do not have the aft top skin on, this is a piece of cake.

The AP74 just makes everything much easier to do. Is it required? Nope but it sure is nice to not have to use the menus for the AP. It also enables pre-selecting the modes and also gives you a knob that you can use to set the alt setting without pushing buttons....

You can download all the drawings and directions you want from the Dynon website. They are even in 3D and have both assembled and exploded views!!!

Last edited:
Just installed the Dynon Servo

I just installed the servo and you can see some up close and personal pics on my web site below. You can put the Roll Servo in either wing just make sure you buy the correct mounting kit from Dynon. (I think the Right wing is pretty standard though because otherwise you would have some Pitot tube conflict on the left.)

It does go in pretty simple, a quick replacement of one of the Van's Bell Crank Mounts with the dynon one that in turn supports the servo.

Take a look at my set up on my site and let me know if anyone has thoughts on how I did..

http://www.704ch.com/2010/03/ailerons-complete-on-to-flaps.html

Thanks

Last edited:
Arm to Bellcrank Bolt Size?

Chad,

I am in the process of installing the roll servo bracket, and the AN3H-17A bolt provided by dynon is too long to insert through the bellcrank with the head facing forward (though the bolt seems the right length to grip the rod end, spacer, etc).

So, at the risk of asking the obvious...how did you get the bolt to go through the aileron bellcrank hole without hitting the other side of the bellcrank? :)

...unless you are using a shorter bolt with a shorter bushing?

Luis

I would reiterate that the roll servo can go in either wing, though the "standard" is the R wing. Mine is in the L wing since I have a camera in the R wing.

greg

The directions tell you to use a #11 drill which is a bit wider than necessary, so the bolt can be angled through the hole. I used a #12 because I wanted it snug but was still able to finess it through the hole.

Maybe you can use some rolled up sandpaper to debur and widen the hole just enough to get the bolt through, or just go with a #11 and it should slip through fine.

DYNON SERVOS IN QB WINGS

Can the Dynon servos be installed in a QB wing on a 7A? I saw some pics of servos in a 7A and I wasn't sure.

Back