What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon Autopilot Servo Installation

apkp777

Well Known Member
I am not going to install an AP initially, but would like to run the wires now. I looked at Dynon's servo installation instructions and it doesn't show the wire sizes. When you buy their servos, do they send you a complete harness or did you run your own wires?

You run your own. Stein sells a nice bundle of wires for servos that works great with Dynon's setup...

servowire2sm.jpg

http://www.steinair.com/wire.htm

Last edited:
Tony,

These things don't draw very much current. I used 22 AWG wire, IIRC. Jump up to 20 AWG, if you are concerned.

DYNON Servo Autopilot Installation section in the EFIS install manual says the Servo draws up to 2 amps. They do not go into wire or fuse/cb sizes because each installation (wire lengths) will vary. Based on Vans recomended wire length vs wire size, 20 gauge wire would be appropriate up to about 25 ft length. I used 18 gauge because the run to my wing servo was a bit over 20 ft. For that run Vans table recomends a 2 amp breaker or fuse. This would be for the Power run only, the other wires are just signals (very minimal current) and can be much smaller.

I used a 3 conductor shielded cable for the signals and a seperate 18 gauge power wire for each Servo.

Last edited:
We made our own cable set with wire from B&C (Stien didn't have the right colors)
Ran 22 for signals
Ran 20 for power
Made twisted pair for DSAB
Didn't pull the 2 wires for the extra two wires that are not currently used.

Wired through 5A push/pull breaker

The servos bolt right on and should not be difficult to add later.
The most difficult part would be adding the rivets attaching the pitch servo mounting bracket through the bottom of the hull.

If you are planning to fit the Skyview, it uses dual DSAB twisted pairs - hence the second "unused" set at the moment. These can all be 22g. You also need a wire for the disconnect (22g) and a power and earth (20g). Dynon say that it would "probably" be OK to simply twist the whole bundle but I ended up seperating them and making two twisted pairs and the other 3.

Back