What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon AP starter settings for 6/7 ?

AllThumbs

Well Known Member
Friend
I just put two servos and an AP74 in our RV-6 and am wondering if there are some "standard" settings for the dozen or so options in 5.4 that work well for a -6. I posted in the 6/6A forum but got only crickets...

I'm also hearing some noise in the headset/intercom when the servos are energized - sounds digital. I read that a ferrite noose might do the trick. I know Vans puts a 2200uf cap to ground on the roll servo possibly to deal with this kind of thing.

Thanks for any input!

UPDATE: Flew it yesterday! The roll servo is working great with both HDG and NAV but pitch is quite sensitive and it over and under shoots altitudes. I plan to reduce sensitivity first and then play with gain and the VSI settings - I wish I knew what these do and in what order they should be modified. Searches over on the Dynon Forum are not yielding too much specific info.

Neil
KDVO

Read the latest install manual as this details it all. Also I posted my 7 settings on here.....

Dynon AP (D10A) Roll servo settings

Here's what worked for me.

Aircraft Model 6A
EFIS Model D10A
EFIS O/S Version 5.4
Roll Servo Model SV32 (standard arm)
Roll Servo Installation Location Fuselage - Passenger Side

My Roll Servo Settings
Roll Servo Torque 90%
Roll Servo Sensitivity 15
Roll Servo Turn Rate Limit 0
Roll Servo Bank Limit 35

Notes:

Before I installed the Servo...
I don't have a heavy wing.
I DO have my speed fairings installed.
The aircraft Does fly straight hands off.

With the standard settings.....
It really didn't work in heading mode.
In really light turbulence, the wings would not level themselves...well it took a long time.
After changing to the values I listed above, it was like a brand new AP. It just worked. :)

Good luck.

Glad your getting it tuned.

The key to the Dynon AP in roll is the new roll mode they added in 5.3...Setting the turn rate limit to 0 enables this mode.

Like you said, it just works!

Me too

I also had trouble with the defaults. Turn rate 0 and sensitivity 19 did the trick for me though I'm still playing with it.

Back