What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon AOA

Jack Beck

We are deep into the wing kit of our RV-9A (standard kit). Before we start to close the wing, we would like to finalize our plans to purchase the Dynon EFIS including the AOA option. We would appreciate hearing from anyone flying a -9 with the Dynon. Where did you run the AOA line? Are you satisfied with the the quality of AOA in flight?

I've flown AoA with my 9A. In fact, I developed an external AoA display for glareshield mounting (available from).available from .

Having said that, I don't like flying AoA with my 9A. The deck angle is very steep and you need to hold a lot of power to approach in the yellow. You do land very short (300'), but you need a lot of practice.

Instead, I use the slow flight mode of the Vx Aviation AoA indicator, which replicates critical airspeeds on the LED bar graph display. Using this mode, I can make precision power off approaches in a 'heads up' manner.

I think AoA is not a necessary instrument, but it is beneficial if you want to land in the shortest distance, and are willing to put in a fair amount of practice to refine your technique.

Vern Little

Any inside info

vlittle said:
I've flown AoA with my 9A. In fact, I developed an external AoA display for glareshield mounting (available from).available from .

Vern Little
Vern how is that AOA remote display working Vern. It looks cool and thinking about buying one. Is the design pretty much where you want it? Any info or comments, impressions flying with it, verses just using the Dynons AOA display, would be great. How does it work? Does it replicate the Dynon display exactly? Advantages besides being in the line of sight. Thanks.

Last edited:
Jack Beck said:
We are deep into the wing kit of our RV-9A (standard kit). Before we start to close the wing, we would like to finalize our plans to purchase the Dynon EFIS including the AOA option. We would appreciate hearing from anyone flying a -9 with the Dynon. Where did you run the AOA line? Are you satisfied with the the quality of AOA in flight?
To answer your question about the Dynon AOA, I haven't flown yet but I've outlined how I installed the Dynon pitot tube on the wing page of my web site. Scroll down to 9/25/04.

I did not cut the tubing as I will run it through the fuselage and up to the panel after I install the wings at the airport.

Good luck.

gmcjetpilot said:
Vern how is that AOA remote display working Vern. It looks cool and thinking about buying one. Is the design pretty much where you want it? Any info or comments, impressions flying with it, verses just using the Dynons AOA display, would be great. How does it work? Does it replicate the Dynon display exactly? Advantages besides being in the line of sight. Thanks.

FMI VSpeed ADS Datasheet

Everthing works well, and the design has been stable since introduction. It's configurable to display AoA or critical approach speeds. It also displays critical cruise speeds such as Vfe, Va, Vno, Vne.

It will flash the LEDs if you exceed Vfe and have a flap sensor switch installed. I destroyed the drive train on my flap motor assembly last week... I didn't have the sensor installed yet, dang!

The AoA display itself has an expanded yellow zone to allow more precise control, but other than that, it's quite similar to the Dynon display. It takes the airspeed and AoA information from the Dynon EFIS serial stream.

I use AoA mostly in formation flying overhead breaks at 60 degrees, slowing to flap speed. You can really see how far from stall you are.

See the data sheet for more info.

Vern

Back