What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon Adjustment??

yankee-flyer

Well Known Member
Just got my D180 back from Dynon after after repair (airspeed did indeed read too high) and although I asked them not to, it was upgraded to Version 5.4. I've finally got most of the stuff back like I had it but I've lost the wind arrow. My manual directs me to an EFIS page where "clutter" should be one of 5 things to select, then toggle "wind Arrow" on. Problem is there are 2 blank spots, one where "clutter" should be. Can anybody tell me (explicitly, I hope) how to get the wind arrow back. I kind of like it.

THANKS

Wayne 120241/143WM

Have you flown with the new D180? You likely know this, but just as a reminder the D180 needs your gps, oat, and compass module connected, and you need to be flying.

Last edited:
Yep-- double checked it today.

Well maybe-- GPS is up and running-- how do I know Dynon is getting the info??

Wayne

Hidden wind arrow

Pull the plane out of the hanger so the GPS can see the satellites and power up the avionics. Go direct to any waypoint on the GPS then go to the HSI page on the Dynon and see if there is any info in pink/magenta print around the compass rose. You will not get a wind arrow on the ground.:rolleyes:

You should see the magenta gps ground track indicator on the heading tape when moving, as well as some magenta gps info on the HSI display. Is VHF comm info going to and loading fequencies in your SL40? On two occasions after removing my D180 I upset the plug on the back of my Garmin 495. You should also have OAT on your efis screen.

Had to do the following after Dynon service.....

Go into the settings and set the serial output to TIS IN/NMEA and VHF Out

Had to do the following after Dynon service.....

Go into the settings and set the serial output to TIS IN/NMEA and VHF Out

I should have mentioned, the item above is a setting in the GPS (496, etc.). Forgot to mention the following.

When I received my D-180 from Dynon after factory service and an upgrade I had to also reset the following parameters in the D-180.

MAGINT and MAGVAR (Then had to do a compass calibration).
Hobbs Time
Local Time
Checklists (I had customized each of the checklists).
K-Factor (for fuel flow)
ALTADJ

It may very well be the parameters related to the compass and the compass calibration.

Last edited:
Dynon / HSI page

I have recently become a part owner of an RV-12 in the UK which two of us have purchased from the builder. The gps installation was non-standard and we have now fitted a Garmin 296 which appears to feed into the Dynon (V 5.4) OK so that we get the wind arrow and gps data on the HSI page. However, there is no CDI/scale appearing on the Dynon HSI and I have not been able to find any menu options to change this on either the Garmin or the Dynon.
Does anyone have any ideas how to rectify this or is it normal to have no CDI/scale?

Alan

Thanks for the response. I have tried that on the ground and in the air but with no change to the outcome!

Alan

Alan,

Try going to the following menu: EFIS > SETUP > CLUTTER, and look for the softkey with "CDI" over it. The choices to toggle through are CDI Y, CDI N, CDI+GS. Y=yes, N=No, +GS = both CDI and GS. My experience (D-100 in an RV-6) is like others have said, valid course required for CDI to show; and for GS, you have to set the VNAV parameters in the GPS, and when you approach that VNAV profile, the GS appears. For instance, I have my GPS VNAV set at 500 fpm, and when Vertical Speed to Target reaches about 450 fpm, the GS appears, and centers at 500 fpm VS to T. I have my Dynon AP set to fly 500 fpm decents, and it does pretty well keeping the GS centered, depending on winds (it doesn't couple...its a "poor man's VNAV" ;) but still pretty cool!)

Hope this helps! Here's an excerpt from the D-180 User's Guide that discusses this CDI toggle selection:

"Toggles and configures the display of the CDI and glideslope. Choosing ?CDI? causes the course deviation indicator to display above the slip/skid ball. Choosing ?CDI+GS? causes both the CDI and glideslope indicators to display, with the glideslope indicator displayed next to the roll scale. If the CDI button status displays ?Y? or ?CDI+GS? and no CDI or glideslope is displayed onscreen, the FlightDEK-D180 cannot detect your NAV radio or GPS, there is no active course, or there is no NAVSRC chosen on the HSI page."

Cheers,
Bob

Bob,

We don't appear to get the CLUTTR option on the locked settings for the Dynon in the RV12 so have not been able to try this. The gps info seems to appear at the top of the HSI page OK with the track indicator triangle but still no CDI or scale on the HSI as shown in the manual. Guess I'll just have to keep pushing buttons in the hope I stumble across the right combination!

Alan

Alan,

I'm shooting a note to Joe at Van's to bring his attention to your question...perhaps he'll be able to help. Also, can you call Dynon toll free from the UK? Perhaps they'll see this thread and chime in.

Pleading LSA ignorance here, but could LSA rules and regs make it necessary to lock out a CDI and/or GS?

Best of luck!
Bob

OK, here are a couple of things to look at in the case of the missing wind arrow...

- Ensure that the 'Blue Wire' back at the ELT is not grounded to the shielding. It is a single circuit shielded wire and what we've seen is that if it is cut and crimped with a connector, chances are that the shielding is grounding out the NMEA signal. So even with it enabled on the Dynon, it may not work correctly. Peel back the shielding and make sure that it is not touching the inner core wire.

- Dynon must be set for NMEA communication as discussed in this thread. See the Dynon, Garmin, and PAP manuals.

- The RV-12/Dynon D-180 Locked setting file can be imported from here. Download the Dynon Support Program From Dynon to install it on your D-180:

http://www.vansaircraft.com/public/download/RV-12/Vans_RV-12_FlightDEK-D180_locked_settings_5.4.zip

http://www.dynonavionics.com/docs/support_software.html

Thanks Joe. We don't have a problem with the wind arrow which appears to function correctly but we do not get the CDI and scale so could this be caused by the same wiring issue? We don't have an ELT fitted so I will need to check how the wiring has been terminated.

Alan

Back