What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynafocal kit

Kevk

I'm New Here
Hi folks, my rv6 requires some engine work which will mean taking the engine out. The dynafocal mount has been repaired in the past but now would prudent to replace it while the engine is out. Is Vans the only place to buy it or does anyone know other suppliers
Kev

As far as I know, Vans (or Vans supplier) is the only way to buy one off the shelf. The RV-6 plans contain all the drawings for the engine mount, so you could have one made locally. Matching up the gear leg holes will be the most diffucult part. Also match up the new mount to the bolt holes in your firewall. Not all RV-6s are the exact same.

Welcome to VAF!!!!

Kev, welcome to the good ship VAF.

I think it would be wise to discuss this directly with Vans, if you have not already done so, send them an email.

The above statement about the gear alignment is correct, as well, the firewall holes may be a less than perfect match if you go with a new mount.

My thoughts are that a local repair should be a strong consideration for you to look into. You also save shipping time and $$ over buying new. Of course, it all depends on the kind and level of damage, and the availability of a qualified repair shop in your area.

Good to have you aboard.

Kev,

One more note. Depending on the generation of your kit, it may be a bit easier. The later RV6 kits came with the RV-7 firewall and pre-drilled gear legs. If you have the newer firewall, the mount from Vans will likely bolt right up with a little pulling and proding. The gear legs will also bolt on, however you may need to ream for an oversize bolt to get a tight fit.

The easy way to tell what firewall you have is to look at the siffeners on the inside of the firewall (behind the rudder pedals). If the stiffeners look like this: |X||X| (forming an X on each side of center) you have the older firewall. If the siffeners looks like this |\||/| (single siffener running across the firewall) then you have the new firewall.

Here is what the RV-7 firewall looks like:

FP20022011A00070.jpg

Older firewall (Picture from db9569 on the "show us your status" thread)
010.jpg

Hi folks, my rv6 requires some engine work which will mean taking the engine out. The dynafocal mount has been repaired in the past but now would prudent to replace it while the engine is out. Is Vans the only place to buy it or does anyone know other suppliers
Kev

Kev,
If the repairs are proper, why do you feel the need to replace it? Unless there is an outstanding reason, the mount that you have could be every bit as structurally sound as a new one.
Remove the existing finish, and inspect it throughly.

Thanks guys for all the great gen Nice to know there's such good back up out there. Mark, seems like good advice and maybe get a second opinion on the actual repair.
On a different note.. Does anyone happen to know the actual wheeling bearing number for the 6 ?

Just did the same

Kev,

I just did the replacement on a 1992 RV-6, which is possibly the worst possible swap since there were no quick build kits back then, plus the current mounts are all drilled and jigged at the factory. It was not as bad as you may think although your experience may vary as every RV is different. Here a summary:

If you have a 6 you will need to support the plane. I used a wing jack at the tie down bolt locations and it worked well for me. I also heard of someone who used straps to hold the fuselage from the ceiling. Once lifted, remove the gear bolts and pull the gear legs out. Depending on the age of your plane you may need to convince it, using your choice of beating tool. If your plane has an old mount you will need new gear legs as they now come pre-drilled from the factory.

Removing the old mount was a non issue. Take out the old bolts and it will come right out. you will need to wiggle it a bit to get the flanges that sit flush with the firewall past the piano hinges and any rivers.

Putting the new mount back is the tricky part as the holes on the firewall were drilled based on the original mount and vans has over the years changed jigs a few times. In my plane, 3 of the holes lined up sufficiently for the bolts to slide in (with some help). The one on the top passenger side was the worst with the hole being 1/2 dia. out of alignment. We were able to bring it back in line by using a strap around the mount to pull that corner of the mount in (the mount is pretty flexible). The two small bolts on the bottom were the last ones we installed both looked pretty good. We were able to push the bolts from inside out (per the plans) but have heard that others found better luck pushing them from the outside in.

The pre-drilled gear legs went in like butter and alignment was perfect. You will need to drill the cotter pin hole for the axle. I used a straight flute carbide drill on a drill press with some bowl lube and it was an easy job.

Don't be surprised if the motor moves from where it once was. Mine moved forward 1/2". Called vans and they assured me this can happen given that the jigs have changed and gotten better over the years. And yes, I triple checked that all the lord mounts were properly bolted. Luckily the fairing and wiring were long enough.

If you decide to take on the job give me a call and I'll give you more details 407-808-1791. I'm eager to pay back this awesome community with some help :D

Last edited:
Back