What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dumb question about rivets

jcoloccia

Well Known Member
Here's a totally stupid question about rivet markings. I know that the one dot means it's an AD rivet, but I have the assortment from Aircraft Spruce and there are additional markings. Some of them have a dot and "01DC" stamped on the head. Others have a dot and an "R" or something stamped on the head. Still others have nothing. Are these just manufacturer markings, or do they mean anything?

I don't know about the others, but the ones without the dimple are soft rivets. They have far less strength. Squash one of each in the squeezer and you'll feel the difference right away.

Steve Zicree

Actually, I meant that they all had dots, but some have funny other markings, and some don't. I'm using them since there's no marking I could find that reduced the strength below that of the hardened rivets, but I wish I knew what the other markings meant.

John, only the dimple (or other marking) in the center of the rivet head is significant, denoting the rivet material. The other markings are manufacturers marks. As you know, the single dimple indicates an "AD" (or 2117 aluminum) rivet (and doesn't that dimple make a great starting place for drilling the suckers out?). If you see a rivet with two dashes on the head, it's a "DD" (2024). A raised dot is a "D" (2017), a raised cross is a "B" (5056), and no mark is, as pointed out previously, an "A" (soft 1100 aluminum; used in fiberglass, to attach plastic wire tie-downs to frame members, and other non-structural applications). I know... WAY more than you ever wanted to know!

Ben R.
RV-9A #90217
First wing almost done

Back