What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

dumb, dumb, dumb

Well Known Member
Made my first big mistake. Fortunately the worst it will be is new parts. I was match drilling W-1028A and W-1028B to the right wing spar. I did the lower ones properly. When I finished the upper ones, I realized I had set up the W-1028A to the inboard portion of the spar rather than the outboard portion. The hole pitch is wider the farther outboard you go on the spar so the two pieces are not interchangeable.

As I said, I think the worst case is that I have to replace W-1028A and B with material I have on hand and order replacement J-channel.

However, a question I have is does it matter whether the 1028A stiffener is in the outboard or inboard position? The two pieces overlap, with the shorter piece shown on the inboard side. As far as I can see, the upper wing box j stiffeners get installed on page 16-1 through 16-3. The overlap happens between the 7th and 8th ribs (counting from the inboard side). The rivet callouts in this overlap area are the same as along the entire rest of the length of these parts.

I guess I'll be calling Van's about it, but if anyone else has made this mistake and already has an answer, I'd appreciate hearing it. I can't see why it would matter since the pieces overlap for 9 holes, but I'm not a structural engineer. The reversed positioning would place the overlap at a place centered on about the 11th rib.

Just to close the loop...

I heard back from the Mothership and I am told in this case the splice position doesn't matter, inboard or outboard.

Back