What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Duckworks template doesn't fit

jwilbur

Well Known Member
I'm putting in the Duckworks leading edge landing/taxi lights and found that the rib template for positioning nutplates doesn't fit my RV-10 ribs. Has anyone else had this issue?

I thought I might just trim the sides of the template so that the leading edge of the template snugs into the leading edge of the skin nicely. I'm guessing as long as the nutplates are the same on both ribs it'll be OK. But I'm not sure. Can anyone say how crucial the position (fore-aft) of these nutplates are?

IMG-20120818-00278-400x300.jpg

As long as they match, you should be fine. I believe mine has approx 3/16" gap at top and bottom from skin. Oh, I really like them. They are on continuously for safety.

Resolved

Got word from Duckworks that the exact location isn't critical and that I had the correct template for the RV-10 but it looked like it wasn't scaled properly. I did a few measurements, did a little math, and rescaled the template to 95% it's original size. Fits like a glove now - including the holes alignment with the bracket.

Back