What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Duckworks mess-up

Wesflies

OK???I?m a bonehead! While installing the Duckworks light kit I drilled the nutplate holes for the lens in the leading edge SKIN :eek: . I know, I know?.the instructions say, ?Being careful to NOT drill the nutplate holes in the skin.? Can I just go ahead and fill these #40 holes later when painting? Put a rivets in the holes? Ideas please! I have an order form filled out and ready to send to Vans for a new skin (GRRRRR). I hate to spend the money if it is not needed. If there is any good news here, it is that I started the Duckworks install before the leading edge was riveted.

Wes
RV7A Wings
Woodstock, GA

Last edited:
LifeofReiley said:
Fill the holes later you'll never see 'em. :)
Oh, you'll see 'em; that's one thing you can count on! No one else will ever notice (except other RV builders). But it'll look fine if you just fill the holes later. I suspect most of us wind up with a few "phantom" rivets in our projects.

Not me of course... I meant to put that there. :D

Jim
RV-7A
working on the canopy...

glass

Did you drill the plexiglass already?

If you did, just order new plexiglass, extend the opening along the top and bottom where the holes are located. There is plenty of extra plexiglass to cover an extra half inch on each side.

No big deal and nobody will notice unless you point it out. Plus you'll get a little more light out of the holes!!

Here's what I'd do...

Countersink the outside surface of the skin for cheater rivets. Then slightly countersink the inside surface of the skin.

Take your shortest cheater rivets, cut 'em off even shorter, and use your hand squeezer to install 'em double flush, like on the rudder.

Thanks all! I decided to cut the hole a bit larger as suggested by RV7Guy. I had plenty of plexy on the top. Not as much on the bottom. So, I cut the hole larger ('bout 5/8) on the top. This is the part of the wing most will see amyway. I'll just fill the extra holes on the bottom later. Thanks again everyone for your suggestions! Whew, I don't need to buy another skin.

Wes
RV7A Wings
Woodstock, GA

Back