What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Duckworks Landing Light Bracket Too Short?

mackd

Hey guys, I'm hoping someone else has seen this or has some wise words for me. I'm working on installing my first Duckwork's rectangular landing light in my right leading edge. I dropped the bracket (the one the instructions says is pre-sized for the RV-7) into the outer bay. It's clearly not long enough--about 1/4" too short on either side. If I tried to tighten this down to the nutplates on the ribs, I think it would distort the rib webs.

rv2_th.jpg

rv3_th.jpg

Am I missing something?

Thanks!

David

Double check the instructions. I believe it rides on top of the nose rib lightening hole bead. There is a template that positions the mounting holes - they land on the bead. I am getting ready to install on my -6 and will need to shorten the bracket. (you -7 guys don't know how lucky you are LoL)

Jim Sharkey

Thanks for the input. With my template, the holes end up between the beads, but you're right that the flanges on the mounting bracket lay against the beads. When I tightened everything up (but not too tight!), it looked fine.

David,

I plan on using some rubber, like cut strips of bike inner tubing, and glue'n them to the outside of my mount, thus sandwiching them between mount and rib, to help prevent the mount from sliding around. I know the Duckworks instructions say the lightening hole beads will help it from moving around, but I think a layer of rubber will help out. In your case it may help bridge the gap a bit.

Back