What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Duckworks Install - Rib Screw/Platenut Location

cln1owner

Well Known Member
To those with the Duckworks installed... (if the reflector mount differs between kits, I have the 55w halogen kit)

I'm assuming that the large holes in the mount allow for quite a bit of adjustment travel since the airfoil template and instructions make no mention of any deviations (alternate platnut location) for use as a taxi light or if the aircraft is a tail dragger vs nosewheel. Is there enough adjustment so that the same screw hole layout will work for a landing light and a taxi light on a tail dragger?

Did any of you have to add an additional screw location to work on your taildragger?

Just eyeball'n it my holes will fall about here:
templatesmca4.jpg

resultsmea6.jpg

What is that angle

I have seen peoples construction logs and 3 platenuts were visible. I assumed that one was for a landing light configuration and the other would be for a taxi light configuration.

I want to install a wing light of my own design, however, I would prefer to avoid the iterative process of determining the correct mounting angle (from the vertical) of the light. This for an 8A Can anybody help ?

Thanks
Kerry Stevens

Yes, there is a lot of room for deviation. Also consider mounting closer forward. Don at DW admits the RV-9A installation is pretty far back (more than other RV's) - I moved mine up 2 inches and still had plenty of room to adjust. i wanted a wider light dispersion given an already relatively narrow spot beam (15 degrees if I recall). Don does sell a wide dispersion lens/bulb, at least in the round 100w style, not listed on the site. I put one of those in the other wing (all modified to HID). For a taildragger, there is no problem, but I think you are better off mounting more forward. The front lens on the kit has more opening on the lower side of the leading edge than upper, so a little down angling for a taxi light would be no problem. Unfortunately, with a landing configured light, you will have a little compromise in aiming the beam suitable for landing vs use as a ground/taxi light but folks have done it on a single light. Better would be one in each wing - one optimized for landing, the other aimed for taxi (or use the wide dispersion/flood as I did).

cnpeters said:
Yes, there is a lot of room for deviation. Also consider mounting closer forward. Don at DW admits the RV-9A installation is pretty far back (more than other RV's) - I moved mine up 2 inches and still had plenty of room to adjust. i wanted a wider light dispersion given an already relatively narrow spot beam (15 degrees if I recall). Don does sell a wide dispersion lens/bulb, at least in the round 100w style, not listed on the site. I put one of those in the other wing (all modified to HID). For a taildragger, there is no problem, but I think you are better off mounting more forward. The front lens on the kit has more opening on the lower side of the leading edge than upper, so a little down angling for a taxi light would be no problem. Unfortunately, with a landing configured light, you will have a little compromise in aiming the beam suitable for landing vs use as a ground/taxi light but folks have done it on a single light. Better would be one in each wing - one optimized for landing, the other aimed for taxi (or use the wide dispersion/flood as I did).
Thanks Carl that info helps me greatly. I am planning to have a light in each wing. I knew that I wouldn't get enough light and dispersion out of one light, especially the low end 55w.

I just checked out the photos of your taxi light install... wow, you really moved it forward of where the template puts it. With the mount so far farward, how difficult is it getting the lens in and out?

Last edited:
It isn't too bad, but certainly tighter. After removing the screws, I just slide the lens outboard (about 1/4 of it is left showing in the opening) and then can access everything. You need to note that I also did not follow the DW location template and moved the lens closer to the more inboard rib - I did this on purpose so the lens had more room to slide out of the way laterally due to the narrower space with the mounting plate being so forward.

Back