What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dual heat muff picture request

jcarne

Well Known Member
Patron
Hello everyone, does anyone out there run a dual heat muff on their engines? I'm getting tired of not enough heat. I know a dual heat muff setup is the fix I hear most; I'm just struggling to see where I can put another one. Thanks guys.

Mega bonus points for anyone posting pictures that has a setup where the cabin air comes off the right side baffle ramp.

Turbo Heat Muff

Have you tried the Turbo Heat Muff?
I have it but don't know how much heat it generates. It gets good reviews. Mine comes off the #1 baffle inlet ramp.

Have you tried the Turbo Heat Muff?
I have it but don't know how much heat it generates. It gets good reviews. Mine comes off the #1 baffle inlet ramp.

I will likely make the second one a turbo if I can figure out where to fit it. Seems everyone that puts 2 in series accomplishes the goal.

I'll add a plus one for the Turbo Heat Muff. But let me back the bus up just a bit.

I originally had the dual pipe heat muff that attached to the straight sections of #1 & #3 at the bottom of the cowling. It provided acceptable heat when needed, but it wasn't going to roast your feet. However, over time I hypothesized that it was blocking some of the engine cooling exit air, or at least creating turbulence of the outgoing air from the cowling. I removed the dual muff for the summer months and found the CHTs came down more quickly after power reductions, and CHTs were lower in general. With the summer we had this year, that's saying something. Now, some may chime in and say I'm full of crud, but that's my experience. Did I run hours of emperical tests with lots of documented data...no. Just flew it for the summer and observed what I saw.

So when it started to turn cool this November (it's Texas), I installed the single-pipe Turbo Muff up higher on the #1 exhaust. Plenty of heat--at least for our climate--with the provided restrictor plate installed. CHTs still very good, and even better with the cooler weather. And the installation is much easier than the dual-pipe muff.

I would love to see some pictures of the heat muff installed. I didnt think I had room on the exhaust I have but with some pictures maybe I can figure out a way. Thanks

Attachments

• exhaust2.jpg
    exhaust2.jpg
    925.4 KB · Views: 174
I would love to see some pictures of the heat muff installed. I didnt think I had room on the exhaust I have but with some pictures maybe I can figure out a way. Thanks

Which heat muff Rocky?
This is the Turbo. The beauty of the Turbo is Dave wi customize the direction and angle of the two ports. Inside are several rows of tubing to transfer heat.
Dave Edwards
(702) 306-3590
[email protected]
20230422_161123.jpg

Which heat muff Rocky?
This is the Turbo. The beauty of the Turbo is Dave wi customize the direction and angle of the two ports. Inside are several rows of tubing to transfer heat.
Dave Edwards
(702) 306-3590
[email protected]
View attachment 53264

Thanks Larry. I think I may be able to make that work. The exhaust I have comes pretty close to the cowl. I got the dimensions and I will build up a mock unit to see if I can fit it in and then where I want my inlet-outlet.

Heat muff

One of the problems of getting heat out of the exhaust pipe and into the air streaming by is to use" cross flow". Exhaust gas is going one direction, air to be heated is going opposite direction= more heat transfer.
Some stuff the area between exhaust pipe and heat muffler shell with stainless steel wool, might work easy enough to try. If the shell of the heat muff is two piece ( clamshell) then using a Nichrome heating element (replacement heating element for a clothes dryer- Sears-Kenmore for smaller diameter) and wrapping that wire ( stretch a little to make sure air flows) around the exhaust pipe just as much as you can get in there and tie-ing off the ends. Where the nichrome touches the exhaust pipe you will get more heat transfer. Nichrome can withstand all the heat. This type of element can be found at some Appliance repair stores or distributors as well as HVAC repair shops. Amazon has a set of three elements for 8.95( 3pcs Heating Element Coil, Resistance Wire Kiln Furnace Heating Coil Heater Wire Dryer Restring Kit 1200W
Visit the Hilitand Store)
Here is a link to a google jpg illustration: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNJTWyKCHxWj-3pTxg0SBnaLKACdUW0rjgias97uvqCdehw4SlK5GaaHoM7kuv11g/photo/AF1QipPparGW8rD7OwItwqMsxkbGuQcHtzKdEaFjEnN2
No I never took photos of mine.

Keith Rhea
RV7
2024 Donation

Last edited:
Close off the inlet area at the baffles by about half ( trial & error) to increase the heat available in the cabin

Close off the inlet area at the baffles by about half ( trial & error) to increase the heat available in the cabin

Yep tried that already. Helped a bit but still not sufficient when OAT get to the low teens and below.

Looks like the Turbo heat muff on number 1 may be my first plan of attack. Looking through old pics it looks like if I want 2 muffs I have cylinders 1 and 4 to work with. Ugh, can you say ugly with all that scat everywhere! lol

Last edited:
Yep tried that already. Helped a bit but still not sufficient when OAT get to the low teens and below.

Looks like the Turbo heat muff on number 1 may be my first plan of attack. Looking through old pics it looks like if I want 2 muffs I have cylinders 1 and 4 to work with. Ugh, can you say ugly with all that scat everywhere! lol

I put the turbo heat muff on the -7 a couple years ago. Custom order, had a 9” one made. That’s the largest i could fit with my particular instillation. Definite improvement but not as much heat as when I put 2 vans stock muffs on our -6 with dual firewall boxes (only due to instillation constraints).

Will add a short -14 heat muff to #3 exhaust with the new engine install if I can get it to fit.

Hello everyone, does anyone out there run a dual heat muff on their engines? I'm getting tired of not enough heat. I know a dual heat muff setup is the fix I hear most; I'm just struggling to see where I can put another one. Thanks guys.

Mega bonus points for anyone posting pictures that has a setup where the cabin air comes off the right side baffle ramp.

I have two in series and it works great. The second is the series is the Turbo heat muff and adding it made a significant improvement.

The Turbo Muff is made by Custom Welding Products.
https://customweldingproducts.com/products/

Have you considered heated seats? After market auto heaters, easy install under your upholstery. Probably much less effort than trying to squeeze in new/multiple muffs, and the heat is super efficient when it comes to warming you. Easy to use when needed, and not when not. Typically, only draws up to 30W on high.

Anyone ever get one on number 3 cylinder with the Vetterman crossover exhaust? Seems like a pretty small run to fit one on there. It would be the perfect solution though. I will also change #1 scat piping to cross flow the exhaust.

Here is an old pic during the build. I think I could probably get a small section on #3, just don't love the idea of a weld being inside the muff.

Heated seats have also crossed my mind but don't think it would fix my cold hands, etc.

Attachments

• 20200716_124545.jpg
    20200716_124545.jpg
    273.1 KB · Views: 62
Back