What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dual Dynon Big Screens

TX7A

Well Known Member
Is anyone out there installing the D100 and the D120 in their 7' panels?
I can't seem to locate an example of this particular setup in the archives.

I am most interested in dealing with the sub-panel and general bracing of the instrument panel, etc.

I had pretty much decided on the Dynon products (D10's) some while back. Now with the new up-grades, I'm thinking about going to the larger (and brighter) screens.

Thanks,
Sam

I are

I have had the D100 for a while, and on order a vm1000c since March after a few calls and some promises? I cancled the order. ordered the 120 from Steinair a couple of weeks ago it will be here today, Yeaaa! Thanks Stein!
The D100 is real light and wont need much bracing if any in Van's panel.

Frank K
N-MN
Almost done

7A_@ABI said:
Is anyone out there installing the D100 and the D120 in their 7' panels?
I can't seem to locate an example of this particular setup in the archives.

I am most interested in dealing with the sub-panel and general bracing of the instrument panel, etc.

Sam,
I'm currently doing just that. Since I'm going with the tip-up I had to modify the two F-745 ribs. I cut them off flush at the 745/768 A&B sub panel intersection. Then moved the two pieces that attach to the panel inboard by about 4 inch. Enough to clear the Dynon mounting trays and still have access to sides. Used some scrap left over rudder/elevator stiffener angle material to attach cut end of rib to 768A sub panel. Cut large hole in center of sub-panel to make room for avionics stack. Have not yet cut holes in main panel. Waiting for trays to show up from Dynon, just to make sure everything will fit.

James,

We have done just what you are asking about. A D100 next to a D120 and the panel has been cut and the parts fit - just !

I used ePanel builder and Experimental air to plan it. The Dynons sit either side of the panel support and need very slight trimming of the mount to fit. There is room behind to fit.

I am down route at present and don't have the jpg of the panel on this machine but will try and upload a photo next week.

You also have room for standby ASI and Alti to the side of the Dynons before the radio stack.

Sam,

Look in this RV7 Forum and go to "show us your panel". Then go to page 13 and scroll down. there is a beautiful design using the Dynon units. I think it was designed by Stein.

Jim Kinsey
7A Wings

Dual Dynons

Jkkinz said:
Sam,

Look in this RV7 Forum and go to "show us your panel". Then go to page 13 and scroll down. there is a beautiful design using the Dynon units. I think it was designed by Stein.

Jim Kinsey
7A Wings

Jim, THANK YOU!
I don't know how I missed that one. I think my eyes were "glazed over" by the time I got through only five pages of instrument panels. ;)

I can't tell you how close that is to my "paper cut-outs" I've got stuck on my panel right now. Especially if that's going to be a 430 plugged into the empty slot.

:eek: Oops! Time for an edit here, and pass along something I didn't know. The 430 doesn't send the right signals to the Dynon EFIS to get glide slope info.
From the "Glass Cockpit" section of this forum; posted by DynonSupport:

"We support the GPS serial output from the 430/530, but not the ARINC 429 (yet). This means we can do an HSI from the 430/530 GPS side, but not the NAV radio side. "...

Dang it! :mad:

Guess I'll look at the SL30 & 300XL combo inlieu of the 430...

With the new Dynon firmware update, I'll be ditching the CDI. (I'm just a VFR guy at this point, lookin' for a little 'cushion'.)

Great setup!
Thanks again.

Sam

Last edited:
Not only have I tackled new technology with a 'web hosting site' but have managed to upload some shots of how we laid out the panel and got it cut for 2 Dynons.

I fly Airbus so am used to side by side screens, it won't suit everyone but with the constraints of the instrument panel supports and where to put the stack and the screens I think we have struck a good compromise.

There are very minor interference issues with the trays for the Dynons and you have to be careful with the avionics stck that you don't compromise the tip up hinge location :D

Mike, nothing like having a PFD and ND right next to each other...Dynons are looking good right now, but I am about 2 years away from finalizing those decisions..

I am also an Airbus Cap ...In the RV 7 that I am going to build I am going to put the throttles/prop/mixture on the left side so I can use my right hand to fly with the stick. Just hope that I never get confused which airplane I will be flying that day ;)

Cheers, Bill

Here's a picture I took at the Texas RV Fly-in. It's from Martin Sutter's 7A. It is pretty much the exact configuration I am planning...

Panel Size

Joe,

Do you know if the planel is the standard one or the extended (taller) panel?

Thanks,
Sam

7A_@ABI said:
Sam,

Click on the picture below to take to my panel page and scroll down to 1/9/06 entry. That describes how I moved the rib for my D100, there are other ways.

Although the pictures show two ribs, one on either side of the D100, I only installed the rib on the left, between the D100 and the AS and altimeter.

Back