What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dual Dynon 10" Skyview and RV9-A Tip-up

Tom Gan

Looking for some builders who are either starting to layout their panel or have already completed the journey. Specifically anyone who has the following config I'd appreciate a PM to get a dialog going to discuss panel layout, Tip-up issues, location of components, etc.

RV9-A Tip - Up
Dynon Dual 10" Skyview
Dual ADAHRS, Autopilot, Dynon Transponder, ARINC, Engine Monitor, etc.
Garmin radio stack
VP-X
IFR

Skyview

I have a 7A tip-up with 2 10" Skyviews. I really like them. John Stark in Columbus, Ga. built my panel. He can lay it out, cut it and powder coat.
I highly reccomend him.
He has a picture of my panel on his web site under the heading Recent Work.
http://www.starkavionics.com/documents/46.html
If you would like more info or pictures, e-mail or PM me with your e-mail address.
Larry

Find one

This is strictly my opinion. There seems to be a trend for larger screens. Don't know exactly why. Remember, these planes are not very big and it easy to create overload. Before you decide, find a plane that has one of the large screens and see if you can sit in the plane. See what you think, evaluate.

I was considering the AFS 5600 for my new 7. I had a chance to sit in a plane with the one of the big screens and I found it was too much. I felt like I was sitting about 3 rows back from the screen at a theater!!!!

Immediately realized that I didn't like that view. Next I sat in another neighbors 7 with dual screen 4500's from AFS. PERFECT!!!!

So, I decided to go with dual 5500 screens from AFS. Definitely a situation where bigger might not be better.

For those that have the dual 10" screens and have had to move the F-745 forward fuselage ribs towards the center, what is the new dimension between the ribs after they are relocated? From the center line of the panel, how far is it to the relocated ribs? I haven't decided on what will be sitting in the middle of my panel just yet, but would like to know what sort of room is available.

Thanks for the posts. Checked out the pictures and they gave me some good ideas. Thinking that I may go with using the center stack bracket idea and forgo the riblets. My layout will look very similar to Russ's cockpit as I have the grey interior and Aero Classic panels.

I have checked out the 7" and 10" version of the Dynon. The reason for the 10" is that I like to fly without glasses being a neccessity and don't mind the dense graphics. Been in the computer business for quite some time and really like the bigger screen real estate. There is a direct positive correlation between age and font size. :D

Tom
A little ways behind you but intention is:
RV9A slide
Dual Dynon 10" Skyview with EMS, Transponder, A/P, GPS
Garmin 795
SL40 or SL30
PS PAR100EX
VP-X
VFR

Every time I look they have an upgrade thats hard to resist. I am still working on the tail feathers and it's not a QB so I am at least a year away. Look forward to seeing how you get on.

Patrick

Skyview with a Tip Up

I too like the bigger screen but I am setteling on two 7" Skyviews because I can installed them with only a very minor mod to the 745s. Did not want to have to relocate the entire aft end of the 745s because I am a big believer in building by the plans and have no desire to become an amateur Aero Engineer nor unskilled test pilot. If someone can figure out how to install a 10" Skyview without have to trash the 745s or even worse mount it in the center of the panel, please share that design with us. I am suprised that Vans has not addressed the issue given that very few people are installing steam guages these days.

Pete

Back