What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dual Comm Antenna Location in a 7A

jmjula

Well Known Member
I see that a lot of people put bent whips below in the outer bays under the seats. For us 7A builders the landing gear is only about a foot away from this location. Have any 7A builders put Comm antennas there and had good results?

works great

Works great and you can get to the back of the antenna if a problem.

I mounted a straight antenna one "bay" left center behind the spar and bent whip antenna aft about 18" aft of the baggage bulkhead.

I'm not flying yet but this is the same configuration that my brother uses on his 7A that has been flying 4+ years.

Antenna placement

I am just about to do antenna installation on my 7A and I was considering putting both bent whips under the baggage compartment floor with access panels to them for maintenance.

Can anyone provide a reason why I shouldn't do this? Is it okay to put the antennas in the same lateral plane?

Dual comm antennas

I would keep them in an area that you can get to the connections if you need at a later date. Just behind the spar and under the seat is a good location. I called Garmin just yesterday and asked what would be a minimum distance between both comm antennas and there reply was 18" min. I will have 32" between antennas in this location.

Antennas

just wondering for those of you that have mounted there antennas in there gear legs fairings what type of antennas have you used.

That is good to hear. Thanks for the replies.

For the next question, did you end up putting the transponder antenna behind F-706, or somewhere else?

james

I installed my com/whip just inboard of the left gear mount (7a), ahead of the spar. Same with the transponder on the right. The exhaust exit gases may be problem (with residue) but I can apply little bend to tips if this is a issue.

how about ahead of the spar?

I'd like to mount my bent whip COM antenna just ahead of the center spar, outboard near (or actually inside) the main gear mount weldment. The idea would be that if my panel mount COM fails, I can easily reach down, disconnect the BNC, and connect up my handheld.

Has anyone flown with the antenna there and can comment on the results?

PS - I'm likely to put the XPDR antenna in a similar location on the right side.

I have heard that some people have had issues with the transponder antenna near any of the gear legs. It is possible that a shadowing affect caused the signal to disappear on certain relative headings to the radar station. That is primarily why I have been aiming for the 706, but someplace foward would be nice.

Getting ready to install two Comant CI-122 antennae, on the belly, outboard bays under the seats, just aft of the aileron pushrod hole.

How are people running the RG-400 cable there? Any suggestions? I have ordered the full Classic Aero interior, so should have quite a few options for hiding the cable, just looking for suggestions on the best wire runs...

Back