What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

dual battery installation for 7A

DBone

Well Known Member
I'm not 100% decided on going with dual batts for my 7A, but I don't want to start a war about if it's overkill or not.

I'm considering my options of battery placement should I decide to go with dual PC680's and dual alternators. I know I can modify the RG-25 battery tray that Vans puts in the fuse kit to hold 2 PC680's. I'm looking for ideas (pictures would be great) and wondered what other 7/7A/9/9A builders have done that have 2 batteries.

Thanks!

I have a 9A. I put the 2nd battery (PC680) on the left side. Due to the tight space (right behind oil cooler) I cut the front of the battery holder off and installed SS hings (per Walter Tondu's mod).
twobatteries.JPG

IMG_8423.JPG

IMG_8425.JPG

Last edited:
I also mounted an aux relay below the master. The output of both are connected to the starter solenoid through copper strips.

IMG_8442.JPG

IMG_8438.JPG

Last edited:
2nd battery

I mounted mine laying in the bagggage area. Tight fit but it works. You must remove the battery holder and the battery together to remove it. The battery holder has plate nuts riverted to it. I put a doubler in that area of the bottom skin. The removal screws are on the outside of the skin. The skin and doubler were dimpled to make them flush. Of course the baggage area floor must be removeable. I mounted mine on the right side and the Strobe P/S on the left side. All my strobe, nav, and landing/taxi wiring comes to that area then out to the wings and the tail. I have not weighed the aircraft yet but I'm sure W/B should be OK

Hi,

The trick for the two battery optoin is being able to service them without removing the engine!

We ended up with this:

Web_Img_9620.jpg

Just another one for the ideas pile.

Carl

Back