What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dual Antennas/ Single Comm

ivanjr

Does anyone know whether you can connect two antennas (top & Bottom) into one comm? I haven't seriously looked for any info about it as yet, but figured the brain trust here probably knows the answer. I am using an SL 40.

Thanks in advance!

Does anyone know whether you can connect two antennas (top & Bottom) into one comm? I haven't seriously looked for any info about it as yet, but figured the brain trust here probably knows the answer. I am using an SL 40.

Thanks in advance!

Just curious, why would you want to do this?

connecting antennas

according to Mr.Archer (he of the flat blade antenna in the RV wing tip fame) connecting antennas like you suggested is a "POOR idea". Just doesn't work well. He has a write up about that.

What you are referring to is an antenna diversity system. On the transmit side it is pretty easy as you split transmit power between the two antennas using a splitter.

On the receive side it is more complicated because the received wave has different phase on the two antennas and simply combining the signals produces constructive and destructive interference at your receiver. That produces fading of the signal that would not normally be there in the over-the-air link. Receivers designed to resolve signals from multiple antennas are diversity reception receivers and are much more complicated than the SL-40.

Mike

How about a switch

The plane I fly for work (C-130) has a switch for Top-Auto-Bottom antenna. I don't know how it's wired but it works great. Auto works most of the time, but on the ground Top is MUCH better and when overhead a station Bottom works great. Might take a fancy radio as said before or maybe you could just wire a Top-Bottom switch if you wanted.

I don?t know why but this is only on our UHF radios so maybe VHF does not benefit as much from selecting antennas? Our #1 VHF has it?s antenna on top and #2 on the bottom. But then again my POH says the C-130 has 35 antennas :eek: so maybe they are just spacing them out?
KC

Last edited:
There is a box out there that will automatically switch between radios to transmist on one antenna based on the PTT (downstread of the audio panel). It works well, but - and here's the big but - it costs about $1,000. It has a coax lead for each radio, then one lead for the antennas, a power/ground and then the PTT leads.

So, it's a lot cheaper, easier and better to just install a second antenna.

My 2 cents!

Cheers,
Stein

One Antenna - Two Comm Switcher

Bob Archer sells a box that permits you to use one external comm antenna with 2 transceivers. It gets wired to the PTT switch on the back of your radios so that whatever transceiver is in use gets the path to the antenna during transmit. During receive, both use the antenna. It's pretty inexpensive - maybe $150? I can't recall exactly. (I have one in my RV9A). Bob is listed on the Kitplanes list of antenna vendors - call him to order. - Robert

Bob Archer sells a box that permits you to use one external comm antenna with 2 transceivers. It gets wired to the PTT switch on the back of your radios so that whatever transceiver is in use gets the path to the antenna during transmit. During receive, both use the antenna. It's pretty inexpensive - maybe $150? I can't recall exactly. (I have one in my RV9A). Bob is listed on the Kitplanes list of antenna vendors - call him to order. - Robert

Be real careful of inexpensive RF relays they could cost you a bundle in the end.

Back