What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

DS Award

Bartsey

I am hereby applying for the RV-12 builders DS award (the D stands for dumb). My brain effusion came when I was trying to put the bottom skin on the fuselage structure. I could get the rivet holes in the front of the structure to align, but the holes in the back part of the structure did not align at all, not even close. So, I cleco'd the aft part of the bottom skin on first but couldn't get the front holes to align. Hmmmm. Must have left out a bulkhead or something. After several skin on to check, skin off to think sessions, we decided to move the structure slightly on the table. As we applied a lifting force to the center of the fuselage structure to raise it, bingo, the holes fore and aft all lined up.
Recommend using a 2X4 as a shim in the vicinity of the center carry-through structure to raise the center just enough to align the holes fore and aft before applying the 2X4 to one's head.
Bart

Several awards in our futures

I'm sure we all would have a display full of the 'DS' awards at some point during the build. ( some of us just don't mention it ! ).

John Bender

I am glad I am not the only one with a case full of DS awards.

Looks like we are going to have plenty of RV-12's in Florida for some nice fly-ins.

Sorry Bart, you don't even qualify for nomination for the DS award. Nice try though, keep trying, maybe the next section. ;)

Bart,

Everyone should learn something everyday; that was yours for today. You're not even in the running for the DS award if you didn't have to buy a new skin!

Bart, We did exactly the same thing. :)) Sure does strange things to the heart rate. Larry

Back