What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dryer lint

Webb

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Has anyone used dryer lint as a replacement for flox? The lint trap after drying towels looks like a flox making machine. Note, I don’t use fabric softener.

Not being a chemist or owning a microscope, my guess is that the fibers from the dryer are much longer than flox and may "puff" up after you mix them with epoxy. If the epoxy has enough viscosity to damp down the puffiness, it might work fine. Take a look at real flox and you'll see what I mean.

Flox

Not being a chemist or owning a microscope, my guess is that the fibers from the dryer are much longer than flox and may "puff" up after you mix them with epoxy. If the epoxy has enough viscosity to damp down the puffiness, it might work fine. Take a look at real flox and you'll see what I mean.

Or, you could mix up a batch and layup a test panel. Who knows, you may have found the "undiscovered country"!

Fire starter

Dryer lint rubbed with vasoline makes a great survival fire starter. Not what you asked about but just the same.

Inquiring minds want to know. Keep us posted.
Love it when someone comes up with something new.:
Color is a plus!

Should work. Lint is Cotten fibers. Maybe I should run the pink towels to arch the pepto bismol cowl. :D

Dryer lint rubbed with vasoline makes a great survival fire starter. Not what you asked about but just the same.

Yup, so if you are ever stuck out in the wilderness with just a dryer and some Vaseline...... :D

-Marc

this is a fascinating thought. It may be that maybe epoxy might not bond to synthetic fibers, or that the shape of lint particles don't lend themselves to wetting out and you get dry spots that won't mix up, but I think the only way to determine would be to just give it a try.

this is a fascinating thought. It may be that maybe epoxy might not bond to synthetic fibers, or that the shape of lint particles don't lend themselves to wetting out and you get dry spots that won't mix up, but I think the only way to determine would be to just give it a try.

Rule out synthetic fibers since towels are cotton. From a wetting out perspective, towels without fabric softener wick water better and dry better than towels with softener. I wonder if that carries over to epoxy and fibers wetting out.

As a side note, fabric softener causes towels and clothes to wear out faster. Don’t believe it, then look at the volume of lint in the lint trap. Those fibers come from cloth. Softener use produces greater amounts of lint.

I’m doing glass work tomorrow and will mix up a small batch to test it out.

We have reached new high in frugality. Love it!

. My bet is it will work just fine. A good two part epoxy will stick to darn near anything.

Just hope my wife doesn’t catch me digging it out of the drier. She thinks I am nuts already.

It’s more of a need with a touch of frugality mixed in. I’m working on wheel pants fairings and need about 2 tablespoonfuls of flox to finish up and I’m out.

Back