What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dropping the pedals for Skyview wires

woodsideraff

Well Known Member
I'm in the process of installing the Skyview conversion wiring.

Has anyone dropped the rudder pedals for the installation? It seems to me this would facilitate routing the wires under the F-12125 (page 31-13).

Regards,

Rafael

Dropping the pedals

Short answer - it is doable but I see no reason to do it. It is easy to loosen the bolts and drop the pedals just enough to get the harnesses over them.

That said, I did drop the pedals all the way, but only because I made the mistake of running the first big bundle step by step (as I read the plans) behind the pedals and getting the wires to their destinations. This, after all the controls were in and the plane on the gear (I had been in "waiting for Skyview" mode for a while and worked ahead). Then, for the second big bundle, the instructions clearly said to run that bundle over the pedals and down ahead of them.

So I muttered a bit (actually a lot) and went back and dropped the pedals in order to get the first bundle back where they belong - over the pedals and ahead of them.

Like the book says, read ahead in each section to get the big picture.

I installed the Skyview Conversion Harness back in February and March. From my own experience, routing the wiring through the F-12125 Over Rudder Wireway was quite easy without dropping the rudder pedal assembly. I laid down prone in the cockpit with some padding, loosened thge screw in the center of the F-12125 as much as I dared without the screw coming out, and worked the wires through one at a time. I'd strongly recommend that you remove all wires from the original wiring harness that are abandoned by the Skyview Conversion. This will open up some extra space for pulling the new wires.

Obsolete wires

I installed the Skyview Conversion Harness back in February and March. From my own experience, routing the wiring through the F-12125 Over Rudder Wireway was quite easy without dropping the rudder pedal assembly. I laid down prone in the cockpit with some padding, loosened thge screw in the center of the F-12125 as much as I dared without the screw coming out, and worked the wires through one at a time. I'd strongly recommend that you remove all wires from the original wiring harness that are abandoned by the Skyview Conversion. This will open up some extra space for pulling the new wires.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I was able to squeeze the wires down to the forward tunnel without dropping the pedals.

Regarding the obsolete wires. I have reviewed the wiring diagram and the only ones I can identify are the set of four twisted originally going to the 9-pin magnetometer connector. This should open the space a little bit.

Thanks again,

Rafael

Back