What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Drone Near Miss

Have you come close to hitting an RC drone, plane, quad-copter, etc.?

• Yes

Votes: 4 6.8%
  • No

Votes: 50 84.7%
  • Maybe - I think I might have seen one, but I'm not 100% positive.

Votes: 5 8.5%

• Total voters

N941WR

Legacy Member
I just read this news article regarding people flying drones near airports and almost colliding with airliners.

Have any of you come close to hitting an RC drone, plane, quad-copter, etc.?

Can you provide some details?

I answered Yes but I can not provide any details Bill. I am just fascinated with everything UAS. If there is an FAA license for unmanned aircraft I would seriously consider getting it.

I am just fascinated with everything UAS.

If there is an FAA license for unmanned aircraft I would seriously consider getting it.

Several outfits that I have researched had these requirements:
1. Commercial License.
2. Instrument Rating.
3. 2nd Class Medical.
4. 1,500 hour PIC.

(I was once looking for an UAS pilot job and meet or exceed all the above requirements.)

Problem children

My other passion is RC models. The problem with the multi rotor models (aka drones) is that they are very easy to fly and are being purchased by people with no modeling experience or aviation experience. As a result, they will continue to be used cluelessly and recklessly about anywhere. Those who have RC experience, for the most part, have an awareness of when and where they should be flown.

As a medical helicopter pilot I am keenly aware of the potential to interact with them. The crews are briefed and we are on high alert when flying freeway accident scenes where some idiot may be trying to get a "scoop," for the news.

Some of the stories I'm reading about airliners seeing them are likely BS . Even the largest available ones are not very big and would be hard to see.

Fortunately the newest versions are being equipped with ID chips from the manufacturer and will be registered with them. At least the manufacturers are working to police their industry.

In the meantime, always be aware. It is unlikely however that you'd never see one even it is very close.

Several outfits that I have researched had these requirements:
1. Commercial License.
2. Instrument Rating.
3. 2nd Class Medical.
4. 1,500 hour PIC.

(I was once looking for an UAS pilot job and meet or exceed all the above requirements.)

Couple years ago I was looking into it too Gary. The several outfits you are talking of mostly handle govt contracts and it's next to impossible for a guy like me to get into. Tried it.

With proliferation of smaller UAS and integrating them into NAS there is a good chance to get a job with a commercial operator or become one. :)

Back