What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Drilling Tip - Older Than Dirt ...

HFS

Well Known Member
All you "oldsters" out there who (once upon a time) did all your own layout & drilling, already know this tip; but, for those "newbies" who don't need to layout/drill their own holes, you'll probably never need it - but still good to know ...

For (some of) those holes that are hard to access for the initial drilling because of a close by surface that precludes direct application of a drill bit here's a Neanderthal method -

#40 x 12" bit with a hardwood block "handle" with #40 hole drilled at the tapered end. Use the handle as a "guide" to square drill bit up to target surface - while maintaining that orientation, complete the hole.

There a lot more new fangled gadgets out there to do this, but if you don't have one (or more), this works (and is adjustable).

HFS

Attachments

• Drilling - Bending Bits.jpg
    Drilling - Bending Bits.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 75
That beats the heck out of my usual method of just holding the bit between my finger and thumb becasue I didn’t want to go get (find?) my block of wood with the hole drilled in it…..

Back