What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Drilling the Rudder Skins.... Which three holes?

danielhv

Well Known Member
The plans say "The aft three 3/32 holes in the upper edge of R-901-L & R-910-R should be drilled to #30 and dimpled. These holes will later be used to attach the R-909 rudder tip. While the holes could be opened up to #30 when drilling the tip to the rudder, it would be nearly impossible to dimple the skins because the rudder is so narrow at that location."

My question is... what 3 holes are they talking about? I see nothing indicating which holes on the plans. And Im kinda paranoid about drilling holes in the skins when im not 100% sure. Im assuming they are talking about the aft three holes that are ABOVE the holes that rivet the skins to the top rib? But what about the other holes? Why just the last three? Should I go ahead and drill them all to #30 while im at it?

Anybody have a pic showing which holes I need to drill?

You have it correct. They are talking about the holes above the rib holes that attach the tips, and the reason is exactly as you state, for ease of access. That is traditionally very early in the build and they're still just trying to hold your hand a little there. No big deal. As things go, these are some of the least important holes. It doesn't matter if you drill them now or later, as long as you have a way to dimple them.

I'm just building a replacement rudder. This time I fitted the tip as I built the rudder so that I could dimple all the holes at the same time.

Peter

Back