What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Drilling Canopy to WD-725 Side Rails

N858JK

OK, another canopy question. I've exhaustedly researched the threads and cannot find a similar question/posting.

I am drilling my canopy (RV-9A tip up) to the WD-725 side rails. At the rear of the canopy there is no gap between the inside face of the canopy and outside surface of the WD-725 in the joggle where the canopy sits . Moving forward about midway toward the front edge of the WD725, a gap develops but is easily closed when I have a clecos in the holes through the canopy and side rail. But, as I get toward the front, the gap size increases. Even though the tension of a cleco can still, at this point, pull the canopy and WD-725 together, there is clearly some strain and I suspect the canopy will crack at the screw hole over time if the strain is not somehow relieved.

In my mind there are a couple of solutions. I can cut two vertical slots in to the top portion of the WD-725, fore and aft of the screw holes in question. This would make a "tab" that could be bent/shaped independent of the rest of the WD-725 and would be much easier to bring in to a shape that conforms with the inside face of the canopy. The problem I see with this is I have already match drilled (#30) the canopy and WD-725 and moving the "tab" might cause a misalignment of the holes.

The other option is to shim between the canopy and WD-725. It would be a wedge and I was thinking wood to be the material of choice. I could sand it to shape, match drill it via the existing holes in the canopy and WD-725 and then maybe coat it with epoxy to make it a bit more durable. I guess a variation of the shim idea is to fill the void with RTV or proseal.

I'm looking for ideas, opinions on the best way to solve the problem

Thanks,
Ray

Back