What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Drilled Rear Spar?

pilot28906

Well Known Member
I drilled the rear wing spar to the fuselage several years ago however recently see where most finish this hole with a reamer for a better fit. I drilled mine with a normal drill bit. I followed all the directions on wing sweep, incidence, and hole edge distance is all good.

Is the drill bit OK or do I need to go up in bolt size and use reamer with close tolerance bolt? This may be a question for Van's but thought I would get your opinions.

Thanks

I drilled the rear wing spar to the fuselage several years ago however recently see where most finish this hole with a reamer for a better fit. I drilled mine with a normal drill bit. I followed all the directions on wing sweep, incidence, and hole edge distance is all good.
Is the drill bit OK or do I need to go up in bolt size and use reamer with close tolerance bolt? This may be a question for Van's but thought I would get your opinions.
Thanks

If you have a clean snug fitting hole, you will be fine. Many RVs have been flying for years with "drilled" holes.

An AN174, AN175 or AN176 (depending upon the size of your bolt) is a close-tolerance substitute for the AN 4, AN5 or AN6 bolts. It falls closer to the large diameter than the small, and can be used to fit a hole that's got just a tiny bit of play.

Here are the diameter tolerances:

AN4, .246 to .249
AN174, .2487 to .2492

AN5, .309 to .312
AN175, .3112 to .3117

AN6, .371 to .374
AN176, .3737 to .3742

The strength and hole arrangements are the same.

Dave

Back