What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Drill Wing Incidence with Bott O/B Skin Clecko'ed?

RudiGreyling

Well Known Member
Hi Guys,

I?m at the stage to mate the wings and drill the incidence. I have not riveted my outboard bottoms skins to the wing yet, waiting on my Pitot Tube Mount and AP servo.

I would like to know:
1) is the wing stiff enough with the outboard lower skin cleckoed in place to do drill the wing incidence, or should I finish riveting it first?
2) I haven?t drill the flap piano hinge to the wing yet, is it better to mate the wings and then drill the flap piano hinge? I hear people have problems with it 'kissing' the bottom fuse.

Thank you.
Rudi

Imho, finish the wing riveting, install the flap & its hinge, and then mate the wings. Leave the flaps and ailerons off the wings while mating them, at least initially. They'll just make the process more clumsy.

Once the wings are mated, the rear spar drilled, and a bolt slipped in there temporarily, then you can reinstall the ailerons and flaps and work on the flap pushrod and what not. You can adjust the bottom flap skin so it "hugs" the fuselage. You may need minor adjustments there.

Yeah, I thought as much, but I was really hoping someone did it the same, bottom skin clecko'ed and did not have a problem. I would hate waiting for those components to ship all the way to me in South Africa before I mate the wings. Lots of time wasted.

Rudi,

Depends which way you ordered your AP servo, ours did fit in right wing and pitot on left wing but it may have been different.

Wait until you do the skins, you will have huge amounts of fun/pain etc. If you get the choice, grab the rivet gun, I did !

We just closed our second wing today and my brother's arm was just as bad as when we did the first one with weals etc from bucking.

I would also suggest, wait until you skin the wing before mating - safer.

Back