What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

DRDT-2 vs. Avery dimpling tool

I bought the DRDT-2 after using the Cleavland C-frame initially. It is very similar to the Avery. Nothing wrong with the Cleavland, but I sure liked using the DRDT-2. I sold it when I was done, but if I was to build another airplane I would definitely have one.

Have you called them?

If you haven't already, give Avery a call and see if they can order the DRDT. I got one from them last November as part of my kit (swapped with C frame). They special ordered it but it was still a good deal to do the swap and get it with the kit.

By the way, no matter what you do...get the DRDT-2. You won't regret it.

Order it from ExperimentalAero

You can order it directly from ExperimentalAero.com

I never tried the others, but I did love my DRDT-2. Very easy to use and get very consistent dimples. It is nice and quiet too.

You won't be disappointed

I love my DRDT-2. Paul builds an excellent product and his customer service is equally high.

+1 on the DRDT2

Having used both a traditional C-frame (Sport Air Workshop) and the DRDT2, I wouldn't be without it. There's a secondary market for them, they're so good, so don't let the price chase you away. Be sure it's setup right, but once you do, it's a "set it and forget it" for perfect dimples.

A couple of A&Ps at my airport have forbidden me from selling my DRDT2 even though I am basically done with it :D. Too valued of a tool to be without.

The C Frame is more versatile as it can be used for riveting up to 3/16" dia rivets. Dimpling quality is similar for both. DRDT is quieter as it does not require a mallet.

Pete

It makes my shoulder hurt just thinking about all those holes I dimpled with a C-frame and a dead blow hammer before getting my DRDT2. Never going back.

If you want to annoy your neighbours or family, make yourself go deaf or live in the country side and the high decibels is not an issue then get the C-Frame. Otherwise the best tool you'll possibly buy for the project is your other option :D

Yeah, what Bob & Scott said... I'm a slow learner so I used a C-Frame all the way through the wings because I was too tight to buy a DRDT-2. Bought one for the fuselage and have been kicking myself ever since for not getting one sooner. Best tool I ever bought.

Yeah, what Bob & Scott said... I'm a slow learner so I used a C-Frame all the way through the wings because I was too tight to buy a DRDT-2. Bought one for the fuselage and have been kicking myself ever since for not getting one sooner. Best tool I ever bought.

No need to kick yourself, just build a few more airplanes with it for the joy. That is my plan.

Isham Tools

I'm surprised that nobody mentioned Isham Tools at www.planetools.com . The DRDT-2 comes standard with their tool kit, and I have been tremendously satisfied with Isham's service.

I share a hangar with a fellow RV-7A builder who smacks his C-frame, then peers longingly at my DRDT-2. It breaks my heart... :D

Last edited:
DRDT-2 for RV-7A Quick-Build (Worth it?)

Just starting the empennage kit on a RV-7A build. Won't get to the fuselage portion until later this year, but planning ahead. I did purchase the Cleveland Tools RV Kit, but opted out of the larger dimpling tool. I did get the pneumatic squeeze upgrade.

Do you think that the quick build kit warrants the use of this DRDT-2 tool? I can certainly see where it would help on standard build kits where there is a frequent need for something like this.

Thanks!

Just starting the empennage kit on a RV-7A build. Won't get to the fuselage portion until later this year, but planning ahead. I did purchase the Cleveland Tools RV Kit, but opted out of the larger dimpling tool. I did get the pneumatic squeeze upgrade.

Do you think that the quick build kit warrants the use of this DRDT-2 tool? I can certainly see where it would help on standard build kits where there is a frequent need for something like this.

Thanks!
I don't think it would be worth it for a single quick build.

The deciding point for me was the realization that DRDT-2 has a great resale value so I believe it might be worth it to get it and resell it later. If you're going with the QB kit then empennage is where you'd need it most.

Back