What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

DRDT-2, do I still need a C frame?

Calvin25

Well Known Member
I'm in the process of ordering tools to start my build. I plan to order a DRDT-2for the project.

From what I understand this will be a better way for me to dimple, but what about back riveting?

I also plan to add a pneumatic rivet squeezer to the line up.

I guess what my question is, will I still get use out of the C frame tool?

Thanks!

A DRDT-2 is a C-Frame, so no need for a seperate one.

For back riveting you will use a back-riveting plate and rivet gun after you've dimpled the parts with the DRDT-2 and/or squeezer.

I found my c-frame useful for setting rivets on the spar box. Nothing I couldn't have done without it, but it makes riveting a no-brainer in a few tough spots.

You can rivet with the C-Frame

Hi Bill,

Just another data point: There were a couple of places on the firewall and seat backs that I used the C-Frame for riveting. I don't exactly remember why I couldn't use a rivet gun and bucking bar, though.

Proud DRDT-2 owner,

/\/elson

The c-frame tool works great for riveting. It's not just a tool for dimpling, even though most folks think of it that way.

In the old kits before pre-fabbed spars the c-frame was the recommended method for setting the large rivets in the spars.

It does work very well for setting AN470AD4 rivets. It's amazing how accurate they can be set because you can get your material perfectly perpindicular to the shaft.

I used the c-frame for riveting the center section and the firewall. I also used it to rivet the seal attach strips to my subpanel (tip-up canopy). That worked out great.

Having said that, the c-frame probably something you could do without.

C frame not needed

I've gotten pretty far without one... only the top front fuselage structure / skins left to assemble. No need. Spend your money on a pneumatic squeezer!

C-Frame not required

I rivited my entire RV-7 without ever thinking that a C-frame would be handy. The DRDT-2 sure is a sweet way to dimple, though.

Back