What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Drawing 19a Bellcrank

JanRV6UK

Well Known Member
I am looking at the Heim bearing and the assembly information - The drawing show to use a washer 5702-75-060 on each side of the HEIM bearing.

But calculating the space - You have the joggle in the W-417 of 3/16 x 2 + the .063 spacer = 0.438

The HEIM bearing + 2 spacers = 0.553

That is a fair difference ...?? I can see the logic of having the spacer - but it looks to be an afterthought - So the 3/16 joggle is wrong..sound to me like a case for a bit of re-bending ...??

Correct...

...the 5702-75-60 washers are positioned on each side of the HEMI-rod end. This allows the rod end to rotate around to it maximum limit of travel without contacting / rubbing against the bellcrank plates. Whatever "space" distance this turns out to be, then this defines what you need to shoot for when bending the bellcrank ends.

The thickness of the central VA-146 flange bearing and the 0.063 spacer define the space distance the for the central structure of the bellcrank and this should be the "immovable" reference geometry that the outer 3/16in bearing holes and plate surfaces are referenced.

That was my conclusion as well. I have already assembled the belcrank so will have to re-bent the ends to get the correct spacing.

The drawing was obviously not updated regarding the bend step - it shows as 3/16 which is wrong ... as it does not include the extra space for the two washers.

Thanks !

Sorted ... 1/2 hour machining down a bar to the correct dia ... bent open the end and re-bent around the bar ... Now it all fits together ...

I went back to look at the preview plans...

...that I have at the house. I should have caught this earlier.

If you notice the call out for the 5702-75-60 washers also has a Rev level note associated with it (R4). The Rev legend listed in the lower RHS of the drawing shows that Van added these washers to the design after the initial drawings were completed. There is no Rev level shown for the fabrication of the bellcrank plates. So it sort of looks like Van added the washers but did not mark up the drawing to correspondingly change the bellcrank plate spacing.

Yep .. They should have changed the bend angle ... when they increased the spacing required for the bearings AND the washers .. :) ..... Anyway ... one done yesterday after work ... will modify the other tonight ... careful re-bending around a polished steel bar at the correct dia (same as the space required) did the trick ...

Back