What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Drain hole in wing root?

alcladrv

Well Known Member
After a rain encounter, either flying through it or sitting on the ramp, my -7A retains water in the right wing root, but not the left. I've drilled a 1/16" drain hole in the wingroot area between the fuselage and the most inboard wing rib. Occasionally, the plane will be in a different location, sitting at a different deck angle, and I'll see water dripping out.

Of course that means water had remained pooled inside after the rain encounter, not good over the long-term. It's curious that it only happens on the right side. Apparently, any water on the left side drains on it's own.

Has anyone else experienced this and worked toward a solution?

The obvious solution of keeping and using the plane in dry locations only is NOT an option.

Thanks for your help,

Mike

Hmm

I would probably make the drain hole a bit bigger...maybe 3/16ths, I think the 1/16th might prevent water draing due to surface tension of the water.

You prbably have a slight gap between the fairing and the wing skin although I have not seen it myself.

Frank

Drain Holes

Mike,
I asked Van's about drain holes and they said to just drill them where needed. Look in the fuselague because you will have water there also. It comes in around the tail fairings and then goes forward. You can see the water drain out after a rain if you just push the tail down so the tie down ring touches the ramp.

Back