What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Drain hole in snorkel?

swavi8r

I'm New Here
Has anyone drilled a water drain hole in the low point of air snorkel? I recently had the RV-7 outside during a heavy rain storm with cowl plugs in. Water got through, through the air filter and down into the manifold into the spark plugs. Major pain in the butt to get all of the water out. Also has anyone modified the snorkel for a better low point water drain. I also need to install sniffle valve, but have very little room above Vetterman exhaust. Thanks.

Yes, I have a drain hole just ahead of the throttle body and a sniffle valve.

The drain hole is for water that can get in during rain or while washing the plane, the sniffle valve prevents a build up of raw gas in the intake plennum. Both should be installed.

Three years ago at LOE we had heavy rain overnight. On Sunday morning a lot of the RV's did not start because their intakes were full of water. A number of tail dragger pilots were observed holding the tail of their aircraft high over their heads by the tail spring trying to burp their babies! A drain hole should also be drilled in the bottom of the updraft filter bowl, carbureted or injected, for the same reason.

Martin Sutter
building and flying RV's since 1988

Drain holes

I've also witnessed a water blockage on an RV-6 after a wash job where the engine would only produce partial power. ( Remember DR/Jay??)

Probably as a holdover from my dope and fabric days where drain grommets are used extensively, I drilled small drain holes in the bottom of the lower rudder fairing, airbox, and in front of each lower fuselage former in the belly skins. Reasoning is that after sitting in a heavy blowing rain for a few days on xcountry, an accumulation can add rear weight and possibly freeze at altitude.Having done mx on older aircraft that sat outside, I've often seen belly skins in front of fuselage formers that had suffered from a water accumulation.

Yes

Has anyone drilled a water drain hole in the low point of air snorkel? I recently had the RV-7 outside during a heavy rain storm with cowl plugs in. Water got through, through the air filter and down into the manifold into the spark plugs. Major pain in the butt to get all of the water out. Also has anyone modified the snorkel for a better low point water drain. I also need to install sniffle valve, but have very little room above Vetterman exhaust. Thanks.

Finished that a bit earlier. 1/8" hole in bottom of snorkle. Wait till on the plane and then look for lowest point.

Sniffle valve is very close to exhaust and the rubber hose connecting it to the aluminum tube is even closer. Ten bucks on a stainless heat shield from Vans a good investment.

Another hole...

....should also be added before the wings are attached on tri-gears. The placement is near the center of the piece of aluminum that goes under the wings to close the gap. In a rain, water can get under the floorboards, inside the cockpit if there is no drain hole near the fuselage.

Regards,

Location?

....should also be added before the wings are attached on tri-gears. The placement is near the center of the piece of aluminum that goes under the wings to close the gap. In a rain, water can get under the floorboards, inside the cockpit if there is no drain hole near the fuselage.

Regards,

Are you referring to the bottom fuselage skin that extends out ~ 2 inches on each side

Back