What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

DPDT on on on - question

704CH

Well Known Member
Hey guys, quick question about the operation of this switch when wired per AeroElectric Connection..

If wiring such that it operates per:

• Down=Off,
  • Middle=left landing light,
  • Top= both landing lights..

Does the circuit for the left landing light break the instant you flip to the top position? Then come back on with the right light?

or does the circuit remain constant for the left light when the right is added to the circuit?

Thanks

In your example, the left circuit should not break if the switch is working correctly.

Thanks, I am planning my switches now and don't have one to test, Or I would have been able to figure this out myself. With this info I am planning on a DPDT (on on on) switch wired this way for the following:

Left/Right Landing lights
Nav/Strobe Lights
Master Bat/Alt Field

Thanks

Keep in mind that.....

Nav and strobe lights should be on separate switches. There are times that you want/need the nav lights but not strobes, such as in clouds or light fog where the strobes will flash back in your face; or on the ramp at night where the strobes will blind other pilots.

Nav and strobe lights should be on separate switches. There are times that you want/need the nav lights but not strobes, such as in clouds or light fog where the strobes will flash back in your face; or on the ramp at night where the strobes will blind other pilots.

A slight difference in semantics.....

Nav and strobe lights should be independently switchable.

With the VP-X, I have them on the same switch to conserve panel space and switches. Up is just nav and down is nav and strobes.

bob

An added thought

Thanks, I am planning my switches now and don't have one to test, Or I would have been able to figure this out myself. With this info I am planning on a DPDT (on on on) switch wired this way for the following:

Left/Right Landing lights
Nav/Strobe Lights
Master Bat/Alt Field

Thanks

An added thought is to connect the power wire from the buss to terminal #1 and jumper to terminal #4, then connect "middle on" light to terminal #2 and "up on" light to terminal #5. This way there is never any power to terminals #3 and 6.

another reason for separate switches

What Mel and Al said are true. So based just on that reasoning, you could use a single switch,wired off, nav, nav+strobe.

BUT

Sometimes, I turn the strobes on but not the nav lights. When? Daytime.

So you might want to find a four position switch. Off, nav, strobe, both. Other than rotary switches like a mag ignition switch, I don't know if they make a four-position switch.

So, 2 switches for me.

Back