What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Double lap belt fixation

Antoine.S

Hi everybody,

Do you think the hinge of the seat back of a RV-6 can hold the force necessary for a double lap belt?
Because i'm thinking to drill two low holes on the seat-back vertical sides bars to recive AN-4 bolts holding a simple belt, as double lap of the harness..
i'm confident on this two vertical bars, but not about the riveted hinge on the floor...
what do you think?
it can be an easy way to get others fixation points than the standards ones, but is it a good one... ?? :confused:

i'm actually using the same fixation points than the harness for this double lap belt.

may be my idea is a "if it ain't broke dont fix it..." i'm common with this kind of non-sens ideas.. :rolleyes: so now i ask first! :D

There is no way that the seat back hinge is capable of holding even a few "Gs".
Even if it would, you would still be transferring loads to the thin floor. Seat belts need to be attached to a secure substructure.

This would be a gross false sense of security.

Last edited:
Antoine.S,

The seat belt design is one area I would not change. I might not be fully understanding what you describe, but I would not try to re-invent this part of Mr. van Grunsven's design.

Also, if Mel gives you (or me) advice, then you (and I) should listen to him. He has probably forgotten more than I will ever know about RV airplanes.

Best wishes!

I think what he's looking for is a "backup" seatbelt for aerobatics, not a different mounting location for the original belt. I agree that tying the backup belt into weaker structure than the main might not be the best choice.

As a minimum, i'd find a way to attach it to the same belt anchor as the main belt. That would at least provide backup against a latch coming undone on the main belt. But if you want a backup for the mount itself failing, you'll need another hard point on either side of the seat, tied into structure the same way the original ones are.

Thank you all for your responses

Be assured, i was sure that it was not the right way to go..
But sometimes it can be good to ask even if you know the answer.. :roll eyes:
Appealing maybe some new ideas for backup belt attach points..

"snowflake" you get it right "I think what he's looking for is a "backup" seatbelt for aerobatics, not a different mounting location for the original belt.", it was the idea.
and i agree 100000% "Mel": "This would be a gross false sense of security." i've write this first post without been looking directly to the parts of the plane, just thinking to what i remember at home.
i'm back from the hangar, and i've laugh a lot when i've see this skinny we are talking about... They were really different in my memories, when i write the first post from the deep of my couch. ; )

i've decided to use the same original attach point for both principal harness and double lap belt.

thank's my friends for being interested by this therad :)

Last edited:
Back