What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Double hole club..help

miyu1975

Well Known Member
Well I did...was adjusting my stance as I was dimpling the rudder skin with the p.sqzr and made an extra hole. $#%$... My thought was to flatten it, drill it to #40 to prevent future cracks...dimple the real hole and later fill it in with filler.. The hole is very close to the real hole. The hole is right on the spar as well. thoughts on this.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/CbUxDG-vZJfk79T8alyP9w?feat=directlink

(I give up on trying to figure out how to add photos to my post..I read the instrx and it doesn't want to work for me.)

here's your image.

After you finish riveting, that hole will probably be tough to notice at all. Ignore it.

P1000765.JPG

Last edited:
Sheet metal mistakes

The difference between an expert sheet metal man and an amature is that the expert has learned how to hide his mistakes. Don't be bashful about advancing your "cosmetic" skills as they will come in handy over and over.

Well I did...was adjusting my stance as I was dimpling the rudder skin with the p.sqzr and made an extra hole. $#%$... My thought was to flatten it, drill it to #40 to prevent future cracks...dimple the real hole and later fill it in with filler.. The hole is very close to the real hole. The hole is right on the spar as well. thoughts on this.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/CbUxDG-vZJfk79T8alyP9w?feat=directlink

(I give up on trying to figure out how to add photos to my post..I read the instrx and it doesn't want to work for me.)

I'm trying to learn myself........

RV7Pics

Natural stop drill hole

The hole is a natural stop drill for any crack that might start at the rivet hole. JB Weld on a small piece of aluminum on the bottom and then fill the top with Super-Fill at finishing time.

The hole is a natural stop drill for any crack that might start at the rivet hole. JB Weld on a small piece of aluminum on the bottom and then fill the top with Super-Fill at finishing time.

Just make sure that anything you add doesn't interfere with the spar. My guess is that this will be on the spar so you won't need a back strip.

Back