What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Double GI275s failure

adrianolsantos

I'm New Here
I had the same failure twice in the airplane I fly for work. Just after takeoff both GI275’s fail at the same time and I loose attitude indication. In both cases I have the attitude information back after 5 minutes.

I am flying in an area where GPS jamming and spoofing happens all the time. That’s why you can see in the picture the LOI flag on the screens.

I sent an email to customer support at Garmin and the answer is below:

“The modern solid state AHRS System works different than legacy Gyro Based Systems which offers a Free or Slaved Mode and is not dependent of GPS. The GPS Signal is an integral component of the Garmin AHRS System to calculate the IGRF (International Geomagnetic Reference Field) to allow for the display of Attitude and Magnetic Heading. In the event that the GPS Signal is lost it would affect the AHRS.”

My questions are:

Based on the garmin representative statement, are the GI275s suitable for IFR flying in areas where you can have interference to the GPS signal ?

Should I go back to 1 mechanical and 1 electronic attitude indicator?

IMG_4240.jpeg

Very disturbing indeed... thanks for sharing.

And not limited to the GI275, I've had it happen to my dual G5 equipped ship as well, same response from Garmin. In my case the G5s are normally GPS fed from the GNX375 navigator and its own TSOed antenna, but I had switched it off.
I have since "invested" in and installed an AV-20S as a last chance device... a different hardware/software ADI, albeit with a minute display.

Back