What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Doors wont close

Dave'sRV

Patron
After one year and 110 fun filled hours in my 10, I am finally installing my interior from Abby. After putting on the right door covering and then Van''s door seal, the door will not close far enough engage the locking pins. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, what was the solution. I can make new nylon blocks for the pin supports where they enter the forward fuselage frame, but I don't know if that will work. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Dave

Dave,
Were you flying up to now without a door seal, or did you change the type of door seal?

Flying with no door seal. I don't think sanding will do it, the door is now held out of position by the seal. It is about 1" away from the frame and resting on the seal when I try to close the door. The doors were fitted when I bought the project.

Glad you enjoyed your first year. This little project will not be as much fun. Maybe you can try some McMaster Carr seals with a smaller bulb diameter. I take it you did not have to fly last winter, above 12,500' or in the rain.

I have not been to 12,500 yet but I have enjoyed see ground speeds in the 180-200mph range. The heat works in this plane, not something I could say about my 6a.

Dave,
You might consider a seal that fastens around the door jam. I used a McMaster- Carr Part # 93085K14. Bulb seal.
I had the stock vans door seal and when I changed to the McMaster-Carr, I had to reposition my glide blocks to pull my door in tighter.

BTW if you figure out how to change your screen name let me know I have the same problem. LOL

Last edited:
I used a different door seal method, that I believe I borrowed from Dave Saylor. It uses a closed cell foam strip with a rectangular cross section of 1/8 x 1/2; from McMaster-Carr. Sorry but I don't have the number right now. If you have a fairly consistent gap between the inner face of the door and the cabin edge, this method might work for you. It is not likely to push your door out like some of the other seals.

Close and lock the door. Draw a pencil line around the door, using the cabin edge as a guide. Open the door and apply the seal so that the inner edge is on the pencil line. If your gap varies in width, you can use different thicknesses of seal material to adjust. A seal 1/16" thicker than your gap gives adequate compression. Mine have been on for 4 years and are still air and water tight.

Jim Berry
RV-10

Back