What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Doors - Cab-o-sil versus West Systems

dhmoose

Well Known Member
I am about to glue the gas strut doublers into the doors and then the door halves together. Seeing as i dont have Cab-o-sil per the manual, can I use the West Systems 403 ("Microfibers adhesive filler") for this step? I have access to West Systems products locally so I can grab other products in their catalog easily. Or, is it time to get some Cab-o-Sil?

From what I understand, cab-o-sil is used to add body & help prevent sagging. I'm not sure what the structural properties are.

Read this thread.

If it helps, this my version of the cliff notes:
A) glass-beads/micro = easily sandable; not structural
B) cab-o-sil = fills gaps for a better bond & doesn't run; semi-structural
C) flox = adds bulk; structural application.

Depending on the task, I use a mixture of one, two, or all three.

Hope that helps.

-Jim

P.S. I vote for ordering some cab-0-sil and flox along with the micro you have...you'll need it in a short order; like gluing the door halves together. I used a bit of cab-o-sil and flox to add strength and make sure to fill any voids.

That's what I used.
West system has their own fillers and I have used most of them.
All can be added to the epoxy and thickened to a desired consistency.
My favorite is 410 but for that application I believe I used the 403.
Cab-O-Sil is sold by Tap Plastic and others.

The expensive West equivalent to cab-o-sil is 406 Colloidal Silica, not 403.

West 403 is flox (milled cotton fiber).

Cabo is added to fully mixed epoxy to make it thixotropic...it only flows under pressure. Want to epoxy something to a vertical surface? Add cabo so the epoxy doesn't run out of the joint.

Flox is added to fully mixed epoxy to give it isotropic tensile strength. Cured epoxy/flox is very tough.

David,

Pretty sure I have some in my hangar. Your welcome to it.

Also, you can get it from Tap Plastics which is next to West Marine in Tigard.

Back