What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Door struts

Moura

Well Known Member
Hi

The stock door struts will not hold the doors open any longer. I am considering getting the heavy duty ones. I sent them an email but did not receive a return yet. I just checked vans site and it shows 600N HEAVY DOOR STRUT C-1016 HD for $110. Is that for each or for the pair?

Last edited:
RV-10 Door Struts

Hi Moura; do a search for RV-10 Door Struts and you will find p/n's and where to buy buy them. Blue Skys Barry

They are a little different in the mount so if you are using the planearound strut braces for the McMaster seal, we are working on a solution. If you are using the standard Vans struct brackets than they are a near drop in replacement.

I just ordered the 600N heavy duty struts from Bansbach Easylift. They are going for $48.89. I will give them a try and will post the outcome here.
Thank you all.

Wow, that's a great price. I ordered mine just a month ago for $63 each.

I remember them being ~$63 from several months ago too. Is that a difference between the Brazilian real and the US dollar as compared to the euro? I don't keep up on things like that.

Otherwise, Moura, I hope you ordered the correct part.

Best,

-Jim

The price was in US dollars. The part I ordered was
Item#10017Y1**
p/n : A1A1F50-100-287/600N
Am I getting the right one?

They are a little different in the mount so if you are using the planearound strut braces for the McMaster seal, we are working on a solution. If you are using the standard Vans struct brackets than they are a near drop in replacement.

What will it take to use with planearound bracket?

Dave Ford

Just Talked To Eric at bashback and he indeed gave me the wrong price. The correct is about 63. He was nice and let me keep for the combined price. Nice folks and lucky me!

Anyone has a picture of a planearound Bracket installed?

FP16112010A000TW.jpg

Planearound Bracket

FP16112010A000TQ.jpg

Van's Bracket for the non-RV-10 builders

FP16112010A000TR.jpg

aftermarket struts

Vans sells a 'heavy' duty strut but it is more expensive than aftermarket strut. Is it better, same. I have standard Vans struts currently that are 'out of gas' larry

I did order and install the bansback struts on my rv-10. They do a wonderful job of opening the door, especially in colder weather. However, they don't seemed to be dampened enough at the end of the throw, so you have to be careful an not let the door swing up at full speed or I fear the fiberglass door frame could start cracking.

Vic

Installed

I got my Bansbach struts and installed them. High quality. They are a bit shorter than the Vans stock struts, so the doors dont open quite as far, but not bad. When open, the bottom of the door is pretty much parallel to the ground, whereas the stock struts opened the doors a bit farther. Mine dampen fine at the upper end, don't see what Vic described, but it's early and still cold. YMMV.

We have one of each

One door has the "heavy duty" Van's strut, and the other (wanted to see how it worked) has the stock Van's strut. As most have found out, the stock strut does not work if there is upholstery or other weighty stuff on the door. The heavy duty stut works ok but needs to be held so it does not open too vigorously.

Last week, I ordered the Bansbach unit, to replace the stock strut, for about $63.00, but it was backordered --- However, the service engineer found a different model, in stock, that should work --- I will have it this week and give it a try.

Last week, I ordered the Bansbach unit, to replace the stock strut, for about $63.00, but it was backordered --- However, the service engineer found a different model, in stock, that should work --- I will have it this week and give it a try.

Ronsin, same happened to me. They are sending me the same strut but without the valve that is uses To refil in case it loses pressure. Since almost everyone who used Bansbach mentioned that the doors Should be held as it goes up quite fast, I was wondering if it Would be possible to drain a little pressure from the strut ( version with the valve) to avoid damaging hinges.

Last edited:
Installed the new model -- works fine, but

it does open "vigorously" and I use a short bungy attached to the door handle to hold onto and slow the door opening.

The model no. they sent me is A1A1-50-100-287/600N --- The Service Engineer who helped me, at Bansbach, was Allyssa Stanley, in Melbourne, FL.

As mentioned previously, the door opening is not quite as wide as the Van's strut, by about (3)? inches in height, but is plenty good enough. The ends of the strut are thicker and are finished in a "bright" finish and look good. I will probably order another to replace the Van's strut, so they match and the door openings are the same.

Back