What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Door roll pins

jtrollin

Well Known Member
Working on my door handles and there is no way to get the roll pin through the gear in the door handle (see 45-13 Step 2).

What have others done here, do you drill the hole in the gear bigger or??

thanks,

#21 did not do it, it looks like a #19 still wont make the hole big enough for the pin and I would not want to go any bigger than that due to edge distance of the hole in the gear.

I worked on this just a couple weeks ago and already forgot some details, but I do recall running the #21 bit through this assembly. That roll pin is borderline too long, so I filed down the ends a bit before assembly so it didn't bind in the plastic housing. Used the vice to press the pin into the gear and shaft. The assembly of the door mechanism requires a lot of filing and cleaning up parts in order to get everything working smooth.

One hint, something I wish I had done but didn't, when you press the other roll pin in on that shaft, the one that falls into the slot to lock the door shut, is to make sure the seam on the roll pin faces inward, or away from the slot. My seam faces the metal bearing surface, and as it falls into the slot it catches just a little bit, so I get a "ker-clunk" instead of a "clunk". Not a big deal though.

I just recently did this section and it was kind of tough getting the roll pins in but squeezing it in with a vice did the trick for me.

A bigger hammer worked for me.
Haha, is there anything that a bigger hammer wont solve? If it doesnt complete the task at hand it can still solve the frustration factor by beating something to smithereens. :D

Back