What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Door Pin Guard

AaronG

Well Known Member
I'm starting to get some damage from passengers closing the door and having the pins protrude on the outside of the plane rather than through the holes. With the Van's safety latch holding the door, this happens anytime some tries to close the door without pulling it in.

I have seen a number of planes at OSH with a metal (SS?) guard that keeps the pins from damaging the fiberglass/pant. For those of you with these guards, did you make them yourselves, or buy them somewhere. I can't seem to find them for sale on any of the usual sites.

Aaron

I'm starting to get some damage from passengers closing the door and having the pins protrude on the outside of the plane rather than through the holes. With the Van's safety latch holding the door, this happens anytime some tries to close the door without pulling it in.

I have seen a number of planes at OSH with a metal (SS?) guard that keeps the pins from damaging the fiberglass/pant. For those of you with these guards, did you make them yourselves, or buy them somewhere. I can't seem to find them for sale on any of the usual sites.

Aaron

There are two places to buy these, planearound.com and iflyrv10.com. I highly recommend planeround.com's safety latch. In combination with the door pins, you'll never have a passenger close the door without the pins being seated properly.

bob

I don't recall seeing anyone with these for sale. I made mine out of S.S. sheet stock. I also cut away the skin under the guard I made so it would not protrude as much. If I recall correctly there was structure behind the skin allowing the guard to be fastened to. I polished them and they look good.
Ron

Back