What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Door latches

cholladay

Well Known Member
Looking for input on the Hendricks door latch.
How did the installation go?
Did you have to modify anything to get them to fit?
Are you satisfied with the operation of the latch?
Would you install it again if you building another plane?

Thanks in advance

I used them because the Iflyrv10.com handles had yet to be invented. It is a lot of work compared to theirs. You have to fabricate the pushrods from 1/2 x 1/4 aluminum with a series of bends to get them just right. Additional glass is needed in the mounting area to provide a good solid attach point. The door inner panels need to be cut and an access panel fabricated to cover the mechanics. The latch itself is a bit thicker than the door so the access panel needs to "bulge" out in the area where the handle attaches. Check out Steves handles...much better fit for our application. That said I would use the same flush handle system again, just not the Hendricks.

www.iflyrv10.com

The iflyrv10 handle looks nice. I am a little concerned about the outside handle and the pushbutton release for the inside handle being so far apart. It looks like it would be uncomfortable to engage both at the same time, which is necessary to open the door.
Can anyone commit that has installed the iflyrv10 latch?

I have been flying with the iflyrv10 handles for about a year and a half. I don't have any trouble reaching both the handle and the button from either forward of the wing or behind the wing. (I am 6'1")
Steve is great to deal with. I have his door locks, cooling plenum, and door pull down straps. He is working on an alternative to the Van's secondary door latch, but I don't know if it is ready for market yet.

Last edited:
I decided to buy the IFLYRV10 door latch with Seans third latch. I will post a update after I install them both and let you all know what I think.

Back