What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Door Latches

Andylaw

I'm New Here
Having read all the threads about aftermarket flush fitting door latches, I've decided to go for these as opposed to Vans standard system.
I have found 2 suppliers of these latches, one being IFLYRV10.com and the other being hendricksmfg.com.
What is the groups opinion of which one to go for?

Thank You
Andy Lawrence
RV 10 Fuse
South Africa

I have the ones from iflyrv10.com and like them a lot but no experience with the other one you mention. One big difference is that Steve (owner of iflyrv10.com) is an RV-10 builder and designed his specifically for our planes whereas the other one appears to be generic.

Bob
RV-10 N442PM (flying)

I got mine from Coss Aviation in South Africa. They are made specifically for the RV-10, but pricey....so far, so good.

I am very happy with the IflyRV10 door latches. I also bought the billet door handles and locks from Steve. His customer support is outstanding.

I have the ones from iflyrv10. I even put them in wrong....to high and they still work. I really don't use them much, but nice when I need them.

I have the Hendricks...trust me, go with the ones from Steve at iflyrv10...his weren't out when I did my doors. I had to do a LOT of modification. they work well but Steve's are the shiznet..great thinking on his part.

Latches

Can the iflyrv latches be installed without much problem if the standard Vans latches are already installed?

Hendricks seem OK to me, I have used them and about to install them on our new 10, they seemed fine to use anyway!

Door handles

Can the iflyrv latches be installed without much problem if the standard Vans latches are already installed?

Yes the installation process is the same only you will have to use the button to unlatch the mechanism from the outside rather than the discreet hole. The button makes it obvious how to unlock the doors from the outside and will therefore require the installation of individual door locks.

Apart from the fact that these door handles are of a very high quality and look so much better than the Van's door handles they also are installed at the rear of the door which makes them easier to reach upon entry as opposed to the Van's handles that are installed at the front of the doors.

Yes. You will have to take the latch mechanism apart and mod it to remove the external handle, but that was easy. You need to have all of that in place in order to "attach" the new handle. I am sure Steve will send you the instructions so you can see what needs to be done. He can be reached at Steven DiNieri [capsteve at adelphia dot net]. They also might be up on his site.....

Back