What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Door Jamb Widths?

rv6ejguy

Well Known Member
How wide to leave door jamb flanges for proper door seal engagement? Anyone have good photos of these areas, top, front and rear?

Seems with the arc in the fiberglass, these could touch the inner door skin unless they are flattened down or trimmed further outboard.

I'm trying to get as much of this thick, nasty stuff trimmed off before installing cabin top on the fuselage but don't want to have the door seal contacting space when I fit the door. :confused:

I'd like to have a bit of an arc left to keep water from running inside the cabin.

How rain tight are people's -10s out there in flight and on the ground?

If your lucky enough to see the... ummm "scribe lines", that is a good starting point. Once mounted with the doors installed you can start working them down. I used a belt sander and started at the top working down. There is very little curve left but each RV-10 I looked at was a bit different. It does not appear to be an easy way to fit the doors. Sand, check and repeat until they fit perfectly. I took nearly a week per door and still filled areas to make that perfect joint.

There a lot of sanding by hand, a lot of dust so don't even think you will stay clean and yes, you'll itch for days...no easy way out of this chore.

Take a peek at Deems Davis site if you haven't yet. He has some great pictures of the top and doors under construction.

http://deemsrv10.com/

I concur with what Rick said. On my cabin top there were no scribe lines that I could find. There's no easy way to tell how much to sand off until you're ready to fit the doors, and I wouldn't fit the doors until the cabin top is on the airplane.

PJ Seipel
RV-10 #40032

Thanks guys, the photos were a bit helpful. It seems as though most of the curved part of the jambs are gone. I'll take a bit more off mine before installing the cabin top. I have the Tyvek suit with hood and respirator. I've already spent a good 10 hours in that grinding and sanding. I LOVE composite work!

Back